Dying plants :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OlaNowak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding my planted tank. It is 36 gallon tank. I've got finnex FugeRay Planted + lights. It has been running for about 6 months and at the beginning everything for fine. My plants were growing really good but after a while they just stop growing, leaves are melting, some of them are loosing leaves or they turning brown. The only plant that is fine is anubia but it has green spoted algae.

Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40

Two weeks ago I start dozing with Pottasium and Iron (everyother day). I'm using also Seachem Flourish (once a week after water change). But I don't see any difference yet. After some reading I tested for Phosphate and it shows 0. I'm a little bit confused and need some advice what to do next.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you getting any new growth? or just melting without any new growth? I am absolutely no plant expert, but it sounds like the melting is happening since you started dosing the new ferts. Maybe dosing too much? I'd do a larger than normal pwc and pull back on the dosing of the potassium and iron. Hopefully somebody that knows better than I will give you a better answer though.

Only Anubia and Hygrophila has new growth.
Hygrophila has new growth at the very bottom of the plant but at the top it looks terrible (brown and kind of twisted).
Plants were melting before I start dosing and I'm dosing only half recommended dosage.

I’m getting the same as you in the first picture you have uploaded
The water wisteria in one of my tanks grows great without adding anything or doing anything and in the second tank it looks like yours and I’m adding ferts and liquid carbon

The reason you are seeing zero phosphate is because Seachem Flourish (Comprehensive) does not contain it. Direct excerpt from Seachem’s site:
“•Provides micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients
•Does not contain significant levels of nitrogen or phosphorus”
When I was using Flourish Comprehensive I also added API Leaf Zone thinking it would help with the macro fertilizers. Leaf Zone provides iron and potassium which you are already adding. You still need a source of nitrogen and phosphorus. The tank’s bioload will contribute to the nitrate.
The light on your tank is probably in the medium light range. CO2 is not mandatory but some source of carbon is recommended (Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster).
You may want to consider dry ferts. Basically, it’s complete macro and micro ferts minus the water. Dosed everyday, it is Inexpensive, effective, easy to use. Two types of dry ferts are PPS-Pro and EI (Estimative Index). Two vendors for these are Green Leaf Aquatics (GLA) and NilocG.

I love GLA. I dose pps-pro and use high dose glut and diy co2 and root tabs. I have also run my tanks with no ferts and no carbon source and I have never seen Wisteria do that before. A lot of the issue with the other plants looks like the green spot.
Green Leaf Aquariums

Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding my planted tank. It is 36 gallon tank. I've got finnex FugeRay Planted + lights. It has been running for about 6 months and at the beginning everything for fine. My plants were growing really good but after a while they just stop growing, leaves are melting, some of them are loosing leaves or they turning brown. The only plant that is fine is anubia but it has green spoted algae.

Ph 6.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40

Two weeks ago I start dozing with Pottasium and Iron (everyother day). I'm using also Seachem Flourish (once a week after water change). But I don't see any difference yet. After some reading I tested for Phosphate and it shows 0. I'm a little bit confused and need some advice what to do next.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Seems like a good solid light but really low on Nutrients and/or CO2 necessary to feed that light.

Sorry I keep pondering this and keep editing my post.. I don't think light intnesity is a problem but rather CO2 and fertilizer schedule is your issue

My thought is you are under feeding and need some CO2 supplementation. Liquid CO2 is an option. I would also recomment dosing your tank with smaller amount of a full range fertiliser more often instead of a dump once a week... You will have to play around some. Maybe does your tank every other day. Also water flow in th etank is important ot ensure ferts are getting everywhere they need ot be

Root tabs will help wisteria but Hygrophilia probably wants more ferts in the water column.

QUESTION.. After your water change and fert dosing do your plants look like they perk up for a little bit before returing to their uninspired state ??
if so then you most likely you need to play around with a better ferts and fert schedule and CO2 addition

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your input.
For sure I will try Excel and I will set up schedule for my ferts. I already started dosing Seachem Phosphate, roots tabs are also in.
One more question about dosing... Let's say I've got 3 or so ferts to put in in one day. Can I do that at the same time or is it better to separate them in time?
Is there a preferred part of the day to add ferts? Fo example morning, evening, or lets say before lights are on?

For sure I will try Excel and I will set up schedule for my ferts. I already started dosing Seachem Phosphate, roots tabs are also in.
One more question about dosing... Let's say I've got 3 or so ferts to put in in one day. Can I do that at the same time or is it better to separate them in time?
Is there a preferred part of the day to add ferts? Fo example morning, evening, or lets say before lights are on?

Usually I would say just before the lights are on so that the ferts are evenly dissolved into the water column.

I add them in 1st thng in the morning before i leave for work. I do mix each fert seprately. i do not mix them alltogether in one cup before I pour them..

Here is my schedule to give you an idea of what I do.. However I use strong light and full CO2 injections. I use Estimated Index style of fertilizing

THIS IS JUST A REFERENCE FOR YOU ALL TANKS ARE DIFFERENT.. you got to find the balance

I get my ferts from Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

Fertilizing Schedule:
Sunday
**Water Change**
Heavy 1/32 tsp Potassium Sulfate K2SO4
2 dropper Liquid Carbon
½ tsp Calcium Chloride
½ tsp Epsom Salt
Monday
1/4 tsp Potassium Nitrate KNO3
1/32 tsp Potassium Sulfate K2SO4
1/2 of drop (1/128) MonoPotassium Phosphate KH2PO4
Tuesday
1 dropper Liquid Carbon
Heavy 1/32 tsp CSM+B
2 dropper Liquid Carbon
Wednesday
2 dropper Liquid Carbon
Thursday
Heavy 1/32 tsp CSM+B
2 dropper Liquid Carbon
Friday
2 dropper Liquid Carbon
Saturday
Heavy 1/32 tsp CSM+B
2 dropper Liquid Carbon

Awesome... That will help. Thank you :)

No, no I didn't mean to put all ferts in a cup and pour them in the water, I thought if I can pour them in water column one after another?

Awesome... That will help. Thank you :)

No, no I didn't mean to put all ferts in a cup and pour them in the water, I thought if I can pour them in water column one after another?

Most people don't give it much of a thought but sometimes elements mixed together and chemical bonds change some.

I dose pps-pro and I put in my macros and micros in on opposite sided of the tank about 30 minutes before the light comes on and then I high dose glut. EI seems like way more work.
After mixing the ferts in the provided bottles I dose 5 ml Macro and 25 drops of micros every morning and a 50% water change once a week

I'd try more Co2 and less light for alittle bit see if you get new growth. All that fertilizer will sometimes burn your roots, and leafs. I'd try a more simple approach for a min.

Back
Top Bottom