Early Pics of Downoi Foreground Attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Habaneros! I'll be right over! You tank looks just stunning. I wish we had easy access to all the plants you do. One day I will convert mine to a high light tank with pressurised CO2 but I want to get it right as a low light tank first. Your tank is an inspiration.

Its really amazing that you made such a big tank look even bigger. How do you get Ammania sp. Bonsai to grow like that? Is the wood stump right center the piece with epiphytic Elatine triandra growth? Your fish are beautiful.

Yes Joe, the stump has E. triandra growing on it. I did not plant it that way. The weird thing is that it was outside for six months before I put it back in the tank and the E. triandra sprouted from it when there was no other E. triandra in tank. Apparently the stuff goes to seed :)

oh god, I need to start over, fish plants everything. I want a tank like youirs :)

I am over planted and overstocked with all the wrong stuff I fear.

Travis, once again, a masterpiece!!

Zagz said:
As usual Travis, all I can do is :eek2: & :drool:. Absolutely stunning! My husband keeps asking me how you do that! LOL. I hope you don't mind I show everyone the pics of your tanks, they are always awestruck!

That totally makes my day :) The fact that people like the tank makes all the work worthwhile. Thanks guys :D

What are you using between the Ammania and Rotala sp, right behind the Downoi? If it is ET, how do you do that? Fluff it up and let it grow over itself? I *love* the whole thing, but this section and just right of it are my favorite parts btw. Took me some time to find the cute yellow Lab (?) peeking out of the "Bonsai" here. :D

Yes Joe, that's ET. It get's like that just before it gets too thick and floats away. I wish I could make grow more slowly but I don't know how. It only lasts about a month before I have to replant it. Crazy fast plant :)

You may not find this useful, but I stunted mine with NO3 dosing to only 10ppm. I grow it low like how you used to, then trim out a patch and fill it in with other spots. I have only begun your method of cutting established runners on it and glosso to get it to grow faster... maybe this will help get it higher for me. I am going to copy your stump and try it attached to stuff.

Do you think the Downoi would do alright with 2wpg? Also what are those little disk type things poking up on the left?

I think Downoi would do just fine in 2wpg if you're using CO2. I'm not sure how well it would do without CO2. You can always try it :)

The disk-type things are Hydrocotyle verticellata, more of a lily-pad plant really. They don't get more than 3-4" tall at best and like lots of light and CO2.

Thanks. I just might give it a try. I'm not sure I am ready to try CO2 though :? If I didn't say so before, your tank is just lovely!

What type of material are you using to reflect your backlight? I use my current tank back ground to conceal my filter tubing, airlines etc. How do you get around that? BTW, your tank looks fantastic. I'm just trying to figure out how to do the same.

That is a lot of Downoi plants Travis! At 20 dollars a plant, you either spent a small fortune, or you could get a small fortune for them! :wink:

Wow, Travis! Impressed as always... how does that Hydrocotyle verticellata grow? I have pennywort whose roots make it look a bit messy, and I have to trim it every other day... H. Verticellata looks to be an interesting replacement for the pennywort if it grows any slower!

-dave-

Travis, did you mention how fast new plants pop up? I know it's slow growing, but I am curious if you've kept track.

- Chris

Ok, bags are packed. The family will arrive about 0900 hours Denver time. I've packed a ton of zip-locks, paper towels and newspaper for the trip home. You did say breakfast right? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom