Easiest plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJGourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a nitrate problem and in addition to doing water changes was hoping to put a plant into my 75G in order to help. What plant can I put in there without changing anything on the tank.....no more lighting or co2 injections or any of that stuff. Im essentially looking for a plant that I can just drop into my tank and it will survive.

What kind of creatures are in your tank? You want to make sure they won't be eating the plants. Java Moss isn't known to suck up nutrients as fast as some plants, but it's definitely easy to take care of and as it grows it will handle more load.

Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)) is another great nutrient sponge. It is also an excellent nutrient deficiency indicator. Leaves will become pale if iron/trace levels are low and growth will slow noticeably if nitrate levels drop below 5 ppm.

Algenco said:
What about some Najas, simple to care for (Just toss it in) fast growing
I agree...if I didn't trim the najas in my 29g tank once a week..it would overtake the ENTIRE tank every other week. I can trim it to nearly nothing and it'll take over half the tank in a week...

don't forget Hygrophila polysperma....I think that plant would take over the world if it could! Plus if you have enough light it turns a pretty pink at the top.

Hornwort is ridiculously easy to grow, but I've found it also drops a ton of needles in my tank regardless of how well it grows.

I am growing moneywort like crazy in my 29H tank. I am only running 2 perfecto strip lights and used a mix of gravel and flourite with a rena xp2 filter. Anacharis has done well too in my tank, but the moneywort has really taken off. I also use some Seachem Flourish tabs in the bed too. Jon

Back
Top Bottom