Easy no fert plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanaticSyd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a newbie to plants, and besides marine algae, have never kept them. I have a 5.5g freshwater that is LED lighted, heated, and has a sandy substrate and am wondering what the best freshwater plants would be? Looking for no fertilizer options if you haven't gleaned that info from the title already. Thanks!:)

Elodea it's probably the best beginner plant it grow floating or planted in a substrate and with basicly any kind of lighting u have.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

118793f29b9ae11017fe1391a211ceb0.jpg
I let it float at the top of my tank provides excellent hiding for fry

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

That looks like a beautiful setup... and I will definitely keep my eyes open for some. I do like diversity in tanks, though... are there any other plants that pretty I could do???

There are a variety of aquatic mosses that are not demanding and should be fine in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Either one. I do like being able the see the product before buying it. Not sure how often this happens, but you could be sold something that looks like marimo but is actually something else. Read the reviews of purchasing online (pretty much applies to anything).

By something else, do you mean something bad for the tank?:fish2:

Not necessarily. But it could be some other form of algae or even terrestrial moss trying to be passed off as Marimo. I've seen Java moss tied to a ping pong ball being sold in a big box store. It was NOT labeled as a Marimo ball but as a floating moss ball. It had a short length of fishing line tethering it to a piece of driftwood. Creative, yes.
Just read the reviews if possible.

I've seen Java moss tied to a ping pong ball being sold in a big box store. It was NOT labeled as a Marimo ball but as a floating moss ball. It had a short length of fishing line tethering it to a piece of driftwood.
:ROFLMAO:Haha... Will definitely look into the whole 'moss' thing, sounds interesting. I wish I had thought to try live plants earlier, have kept freshwater for 4 years and marine for 3-4 months... compared to some of y'all, I'm like a fourteen year old in the House of Representatives:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom