Easy Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank with mostly artificcial plants exept for this unidentified floating plant. I would like to convert to a planted aquarium without switching over the substrate ( mine is sand and gravel). What plant is easy to grow and doesnt need a specific substrate?

ForumRunner_20121231_111356.jpg

Well I'm not too good with substrates but I recall someone with the same issue you have and they said you can't grow quality plants in sand or gravel let alone mix the two together....but that's what I heard- doesnt mean its right. I personally think that you maybe can grow any plants in a finer gravel with sand, just use lots of root tabs for the nutrients they will need since you won't have any plant substrate. No plant needs a specific substrate I don't think...then again I'm not so good with substrate lol.

Your lighting will determine what plants you can grow. What type of lighting do you have in the tank? Some low light tolerant plants are Anubia, Java fern (regular and Wendilov), and Bolbitus. Water sprite and wisteria are both easy plants but again will depend on your lighting.

My lights are two 18 inch aqueon full spectrum t8's with 15w each. Today I also got three small anubias.
ForumRunner_20121231_191555.jpg

ForumRunner_20121231_191534.jpg

They actually look healthier on this than in person. They have a little brown to them.

You need to stick with the low light tolerant plants. Anubia, Java ferns, Bolbitus, and crypts. One thing tho.... you need to pull the anubia rhizome out of the gravel. If you plant them in gravel only put the white roots in the substrate, not the fleshy part above the roots that the leaves grow off of. They do best IMO when attached to a piece of DW.

It does!!! I didn't even notice that although maybe I didn't want to notice since we've been getting the messy white stuff off and on for two days now.

OP what kind of substrate is that?

Setting Up a Basic Planted Tank

Hello Aqua...

You don't need to make any changes to your tank, provided you keep to undemanding plants. Anubias and Java fern are very slow growers, but will live in low light. Anacharis and Pennywort will do fine too, you can float them close to the light source. This is about all you can grow, but you can add several pieces of driftwood and get some rocks arranged to weigh down the wood. You can also float a piece of driftwood and attach the Java fern to it with black sewing thread. Give the tank a little time and you can have a nicely planted tank.

B

My substrate is high desert play sand mixed with whitish gravel. This is unrelated but I have a recent post regarding iminent nitrites in my tank. If any of you could help on that, it would be great. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom