Echinodorus unknownis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, just got this sword from my LFS who didn't have it labeled. I've only grown a few swords in the short time I've had a planted tank so I don't know much about the various Echinodorus species. Does anyone have an ID on this one? It's a young specimen and only about 4" in diameter and has purplish leaves with yellow-green veins. Thanks :)

Sword_090605_x800.jpg

I realy wish I could help you with this. Since I have no experiance Im going to guess by
looking at adult pictures. Echinodorus 'Rubin' or Echinodorus 'Rubin' (Narrow leaves). :mrgreen:

I'll second greenmagi - it looks like Echinodoru rubin. At least this is the best match that I could find at Tropica.com (has the most plant profiles that I know of).

it also looks like it could be a Echinodorus x barthii (red melon sword). I find it's easier to let it grow a bit, then try to ID it. when they are small like that, and new, they often aren't displaying 'adult growth' yet.

Cuz right now, to me, it looks like either a red melon or an oriental sword (which I can't find a latin name for?)

Thanks guys :) I thought it might have been an oriental sword when I saw it at the lfs but the more people tell me about it the more I'm coming to believe it's a Rubin. It really matches the Tropica decription of a Rubin well. I hope so because I need a very large sword to take up some space in the back of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom