Eco Complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TommyLiNy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of using Eco Complete in my 55 gallon tank. I am looking into low light plants as I have 96watts of T5 lighting currently along with the Eco Complete. Im only planning on using it in the corners of the tank where i will have the plants and the rest of the tank will be balck sand (currently in the tank). My question is I have a White Stingray (freshwater), do you think the Eco Complete will effect the Ray at all? Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopfully I can get a lil help

have you thought about flourite sand? i know eco fine with other bottom dwellers but not 100% sure with rays.

I already have black sand in my tank thats why I am looking at getting the eco. Also the shop I use carries eco and seaheam red thats why I was leaning toward the eco ( its black like the sand i have). Not looking to redo the whole tank just eco where i plan to plant. Does flourite come in black? Any suggestions on plants? 96w T5 4 x 24watt bulbs

flourite comes in black and in black sand as well. what size tank do you have?

I can not speak about the Ray but Eco-Complete can raise the pH and KH of the water! It is a fact! It doesn't always but does from time to time. The batches of the gravel very. The Manufacture states the gravel is coated in calcium carbonate and after a few water changes the pH and KH will be stable. Well it has been an issue in my tank where I need a KH below 3 and a pH of 6.5. The pH kept raising to 7.5 and the KH kept climbing to 8. It has taking more than a few water changes to slow down the rebound. Use with caution. On the up side. The plants love this stuff. They are rooting better and faster than any tank I have had.

Thank you for the info, that really helped. They ray is very sensitive to change in levels of ph/kh and nitrates. I think I am going to go more the root tab way now that I have heard this and look into a light upgrade.

I have the ray and 3 peacock bass which arent even an inch. The tank is more of a grow tank right now until they make the move to the 125. That only has 4 angles 4 rainbows 8 corys currently. I just got the 125 about 3 months ago didnt want to cycle the tank with the ray in it, and hes still only about 4" round so theres still plenty of room in the 55.

But if Im not going to use the eco, going to go ferts and lights... Any suggestions on a T5 HO 48" ?? I only want to plant a few swords maybe a few java ferns, mosses not looking to plant heavily its mounted in the wall and I like to be able to see thru.

Are you talking about the same peacock bass they introduced in flordia for fishing? The kind that get to 20"? If so I think you've got an over stocking issue even with the 125 gallon.

They get alot bigger the 20" in the wild they should get as big as the tank allows. The lfs I use has 6 around 9" in a 165 and they are fine. Just need a good filter there dirty like most predatory fish. If the time comes and they are too big Ill find someone who will take them Im sure lol

the blue will make the fish look nice but not help with the growth much. again i would look at the dual bulb 54x2 and go with 2 white bulbs.

I only want to plant a few swords maybe a few java ferns, mosses not looking to plant heavily its mounted in the wall and I like to be able to see thru.

For the plants that you have identified, the lights you have now will be more than adequate. You don't need the eco-complete and will only be dosing trace elements every blue moon.

Back
Top Bottom