Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really want to try Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate.
I am curious to see if anyone else has used it, or has heard anything about it.

Here is a link to a little info on it:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=9087

I plan on having a densely planted tank, and I want what will be most effective for it.

Also does anyone know if special substrates like these need to be replaced after so long?

Thanks
Jen :)

Hi Jen,

I'm always wary that anything having to do with fish and aquatic plants, aren't what they're advertised as. If you you use this substrate, I'm curious as to your results :)

I have a bag sitting here waiting for permission from the boss to set up a test tank. It's a great looking substrate that is actually black. It has a pretty high amount of trace elements in it. From what I have heard it is an awesome substrate.

And the life of substrates like this is very long. Long enough not to worry about it.

Thanks for responding RG and BNY!

I'll post my experiences with it, probably next month.

I can't order till the first.

This is my first attempt at a densely planted tank. I really hope this goes well.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Eco-Complete RG.

Jen :multi:

I hope i'm not too late but i just dump 40lbs of this into 20gal high tank and stuck some valisnara americana in it as a test and WOW! its growing like crazy! the new leaves are so beautiful! an unbelievable shade of rich green! in 2 days i measured 1.5 inches growth and that's without co2. oh i also have a 65w pc light strip. i am really pleased with this substrate. it comes packed in a nutrient rich liquid that you do not rinse off... just dump it in and add water... it also helps to cycle the tank. my tank is completely cycled after 2 weeks. the water got super cloudy half way through but i just waited and as of yesterday, it's crystal clear! and my water tests all came out fine this a.m. i say get it! i had to buy mine on line. after much research, i found it was cheapest here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=9087
plus, that's a very reputable store!

:D

Thanks for responding eykis9! :D

I'm glad to hear some positive feedback!

I'm going to order some as soon as I get paid.

The only place I really buy on-line is Drsfostersmith.com
(great prices, and a huge variety)

I was gonna buy some next week, but you have convinced me even more. It's nice to hear from somebody who has already used it.

Jen :multi:

I started my first planted tank a couple months ago knowing absolutely nothing other than a LOT of reading and asking advise from the fine folks here at AA. I chose ECO based on recommendations, looks and a best price via PETCO website. Paid $16. Install was very painless. Tank cleared completely in a couple hours. I went to the "local" plant specialty FS, dropped $150 and took home the selection of plants they recommended for a newbee. I stuffed them into the substrate and most are growing like weeds. A few not so good. I'm using the Seachem Flourish chem set as ferts along with excel for carbon. I learned pretty fast that with 96W of T5HO, I'm needing CO2. Waiting to build up the bank to go down that road. As for ECO, I have no basis of comparison but I like it. PWCs don't stir it up much if you're careful and even vaccuming isn't bad as long as you stay an inch or so above the surface. IMO

I've used eco-complete for years and I highly recommend it. Its especially good to use in lowlight, low tech tanks.

And true, you never have to change it.

I found 20lb bags at Petco online for $17. $6 dollars shipping no matter how many you get. Just FYI. I'm now wondering how I'm going to sneek 80lbs of "special" gravel into the house.

I swear im not so lazy I wouldnt just start a new thread. I just found this in a Google search and thought I would follow up.

Back
Top Bottom