Eco-Complete vs Fluval Plant Stratum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lohoyan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey!

Is this the same kind of stuff? Here's what I've read.

Eco-Complete

highly porous
contains many mineral nutrients
will not increase Ph or carbonate hardness
contains live bacteria
packed in buffered Black Water solution for water conditioning

Fluval Plant Stratum

highly porous
supports neutral to slightly acidic pH
controls organic discoloration

I don't care about the bacteria. I probably do want all the mineral. Not sure if I should care about the pH claims.

My lfs is bringing in the Fluval, that's all I'll be able to get. This is for my new (to me) Fluval Vicenza 260 65G limited edition bowfront pictured below. Will transfer everything from my 45G community freshwater but I really want great plant growth. Not sure that I'm going actual "planted tank" yet but definitively after the jungle look.

How does all that mineral affect the pH? My tap water is around 6.8 and I've been running a little crushed coral in filter for the heck of it.

The "limited edition" means it has that accent light built in below that plexi-glass just in front and center of the tank shining up. Not to sure how this will look. There is a T4 14W 3000K bulb in there. I'll be running 6500K dual life-glow 39W T5HOs in the main fixture.

Any advice on the substrate would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_3005.jpg
    DSC_3005.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 551
One of the biggest factors between the two for me was simple: price. One 20lb bag of Eco-Complete seems to be the same price as one 8lb bag of Fluval.

If you had an acrylic tank, then I'd spend the extra and get Fluval. It's more dirt like than Eco-Complete and should help avoid scratching the acrylic.

You don't have to get Eco-Complete from the LFS. I did buy one bag from them, but I bought a second back on Amazon, which is on the way. :brows:

What color is the fluval? I like the black color of the eco-complete. It doesn't say what color the fluval is. It looks dark brown in the pictures. Can you use it on its own or would you lay other gravel on top of it? Is it mineral rich like the Eco?

All things being equal, the Fluval Plant Stratum will be a better bet because unlike EC, it actually complains major plant nutrients beyond a smattering of micronutrients. It's no as good as ADA Aquasoil, but better than fired clay products like Fluorite and EC.

Ok, so the fluval is good stuff, I am a little worried about the cost, I imagine it will take quite a lot. How much will I need for my 65G? Is two inches enough or is three better?

Sorry, I have used Stratum and never will again. About three months in tank everything was constantly covered in dust. Cleaned off everything daily, it really sucked. It is brown, like mud. I don't think it has any ferts in it but it does have a high CEC.

Wow, this is getting confusing, I think I'm leaning toward the Eco-complete just for price, because it's black and cause I'm not going high tech planted yet. Problem is getting it where I live. I've been online all day and so far no luck, every place I've check either doesn't carry it or doesn't ship.
A while ago I collected some flat thin granite rocks to make a feature in my tank. Then I noticed they had some red accents in them which means iron so decided not to use them as I didn't want iron leaching into my water. But if I use this plant stratum that is all ful of minerals anyway does it really matter?

I think the iron is largely a shrimp concern, but I'm not sure. As far as 'full of minerals', it is and it isn't? I thought that stratum had nutrients in it beyond the micros that you'll get with any clay based substrate, but apparently it may not have much more than that. There is a lack of good information available. Either way, the substrate shouldn't necessarily be leeching it out that much.

I will say this though. If you have to pay for shipping for your substrate anyways, I would try and get some nutrient rich substrate shipped to you, such as aquasoil, etc. It has a high CEC, but also nitrates and other nutrients beyond micros.

Wow, this is getting confusing, I think I'm leaning toward the Eco-complete just for price, because it's black and cause I'm not going high tech planted yet. Problem is getting it where I live. I've been online all day and so far no luck, every place I've check either doesn't carry it or doesn't ship.

Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies

I have a bag on the way myself. Shipping isn't too painful too. Total cost is less than $25.

Wow, aqua soil, a whole new thing to research, it does sound like good stuff. Thanks for the amazon link but I live way up in Canada, mean waaay up, north of sixty. Besides I am striking right out finding the eco on the Amazon Canada site, there are plenty of other Carib Sea products but no Eco for some reason. And Pets and Ponds seem to be out of it also. Maybe there's a nation wide Eco shortage. I'm searching everything!

Ok, Pets and Ponds will have more Eco-Complete by March 1st. I'll just have to wait till then. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going with the Eco because I'm not going high tech in my 65G, I just want to go a step up plant wise from what I have now. Reading about the adsoil got me interested though. I'm starting a plan to use it in my 10G with CO2 and see if I can get it ultra green with moss and everything. I've seen so many amazing pictures. Not just yet but eventually. Right now that tank has baby mollies in it.

Back
Top Bottom