Eel Grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Here is the tank with the Eel Grass. Questions below pic...

60074-albums11380-picture57008.jpg

Does anyone else here have Eel Grass?

What do you do with it?

This was given to me as an "extra" from a a plant purchase back in December, where it was in a 110G. Heavily planted tank.

So far I haven't killed it.

Yesterday I cleaned out a million zillion floating plants, Java Moss and misc plants from the tank. As you can see, the light can now reach the Eel Grass and other plants better.

Is this alright to just let it pool its super long leaves at the top of the tank. I trimmed a bunch but there are a few which are over 5 and 6 feet. (though I read something about it could grow to 30' in the Eel Grass Meadows. :cool:

Does this look alright? Thoughts?

What do you do with yours? Please post some pics. I am wondering if this tank is just too short for the true appreciation of the plant...

Honestly don't KNOW I think he said he got it from the great lakes or coast. There was much discussion during the time it took to pull plants, then agree to additional plants and a whole bunch of fish I wouldn't have normally adopted, to catch in a murky 110G tank, so its possible in remembering bits and pieces of conversation, but for sure he said it was Eel Grass.

Does VN get 6-8 feet long leaves? I thought VN was shorter maybe 3'.
I can stand on the chair and grab out a leaf and can hold it above my head with my arm extended, with some still left, so appx 8'

Has bulbous rhizome and gnarly squiggly roots.
1.25-1.5" wide leaves
and is crispy sounding when breaking off leaf pieces.
There is a visible cell structure in the leaves, hopefully you can tell in the pic.

60074-albums11380-picture57034.jpg

Does it make a crap ton of runners? VN normally has fairly long leaves, but usually pretty narrow leaves. Does it look similar to pictures on google?

Does it make a crap ton of runners? VN normally has fairly long leaves, but usually pretty narrow leaves. Does it look similar to pictures on google?

It has made a couple of little babies on runners. runners seem to only be 2" long, so right next to the momma plant. They have been in a plastic tub as floating, initially for a couple weeks with light back in December, them went into a tall flat back hex tank with sand only liquid Flourish, then into my 72G with Eco complete and sharing a couple Ferka Stemma and Rosetta plant tabs with their neighboring plants as I am afraid to make them grow too much! lol For the last two + months had run out of flourish and just bought some last week.

The pics look all pretty similar, to V. Gigantea also but I don't know how to tell for sure what the plant is since they grow and look about the same. That's why I was trying to include any details which might help.

I know it was getting yellow from the lack of light from the floaters so they are gone now.

Only have single plant bulb on the tank anyway atm.

I will be headed to work shortly, I can read anything you post, but won't be able to respond til very late.

Jungle val would be my guess as well. It's awfully big for a jungle val, but it's by far the most common species available, which makes it the de facto most likely candidate in my book. It's as good a ID as any really.

This is a textbook case of why you really shouldn't go by common names. They're often redundant, wrong, or plain silly.

Jungle val would be my guess as well. It's awfully big for a jungle val, but it's by far the most common species available, which makes it the de facto most likely candidate in my book. It's as good a ID as any really.

This is a textbook case of why you really shouldn't go by common names. They're often redundant, wrong, or plain silly.

Thank you for your opinion. I wish I knew for sure what it is, but I understand how one would come to that conclusion. I am going to see if I can back track the person's phone number who I got it from and maybe ask for additional detail, maybe it will help clarify the mystery.

Back
Top Bottom