Effects of Live Plants on Water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob1957j

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon plant - 2 angels - silver dollars and 1 small pleco, I have some live plants in the tank. Some of the leaves are dying and get hooked in the filter and decay. What effect will this have on the water chemistry ?

Thanks Bob - Toledo Ohio :scatter:

Over the long haul any decaying organic matter will act to bring the pH down. I remove any dead or dying leaves as part of my regular maintenance. I'm surprised you can keep any live plants with silver dollars. They are notorious plant eaters.

Thanks for the info

Thanks that answers my question, and I have never had any problem with the silver dollars nibbling plants. I only have a pair and they behave themselves.

It's possbile that's what is happening, the silver dollars are nibbling the plants and killing them. How big are they? My scats did this when I tried to add java fern to my 135g a couple years ago. They just nibbled it and didn't eat the whole thing.

Aren't there a few plants that fish just won't eat? I seem to remember reading 'herbevores won't eat' tagged on descriptions a lot but I'm not sure how accurate that is...but if it is, you might try switching to less tasty plants.

Crinum thaianum is said to with stand cichlids, not sure about silver dollars tho, but the leaves are very tough!

Back
Top Bottom