Ei dosing and water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookie30196992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently ei dosing and doing a 50% water change weekly but I am having a diatom problem because my tank is new,

My question is can I do two water changes weekly so my work is easyer cleaning all the diatoms ?

Will this affect my nutritions and plants ?

Thank you

EI Dosing

I am currently ei dosing and doing a 50% water change weekly but I am having a diatom problem because my tank is new,

My question is can I do two water changes weekly so my work is easyer cleaning all the diatoms ?

Will this affect my nutritions and plants ?

Thank you

Hello Cook...

Ideally, you fertilize after a large water change, this way you don't remove nutrients. From a waste standpoint, there's no reason to do two large water changes weekly, because it takes a week or more for dissolved waste material to build up to a point that could be toxic to your fish. As you know, the idea behind using the Estimated Index to fertilize your plants is to add more nutrients than the plants use, but not enough that algae becomes a problem. This might state the obvious, but maybe you should tweak your dosing routine.

B

I dont think the ei dosing is causing the diatoms, I just think it is just because it's a newish tank, I just want easy work cleaning it all off

Reduce light if you can while you wait out the diatom bloom. Keep dosing the same, 50% or greater 1 x weekly is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom