EI Dosing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it does mean 7.5 ppm per single dose, this is the standard EI target. Some people running really high PAR lighting dose up to 30-45 ppm weekly. However, this amount is meant to be flexible according to the demand of your particular tank, so yes it can be dosed once weekly or split into multiple doses.

Another thing to note about the calculator, when calculating the amount of K (potassium), you can add the resulting K amounts of all ferts together to reach your target. In other words the amount of k2so4 needed depends on how much kno3 you're dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, it does mean 7.5 ppm per single dose, this is the standard EI target. Some people running really high PAR lighting dose up to 30-45 ppm weekly. However, this amount is meant to be flexible according to the demand of your particular tank, so yes it can be dosed once weekly or split into multiple doses.

Another thing to note about the calculator, when calculating the amount of K (potassium), you can add the resulting K amounts of all ferts together to reach your target. In other words the amount of k2so4 needed depends on how much kno3 you're dosing.

Ok so that means I'll be adding 22.5ppm weekly. I dose potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. I don't think I will be dosing 22.5ppm of nitrate a week that's for sure. I'll aim for around 10 with being a low light setup 2 x t8 tubes and small doses of liquid carbon.

Op sorry for the brief diversion.

Ok so that means I'll be adding 22.5ppm weekly. I dose potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. I don't think I will be dosing 22.5ppm of nitrate a week that's for sure. I'll aim for around 10 with being a low light setup 2 x t8 tubes and small doses of liquid carbon.

Op sorry for the brief diversion.

No worries, its all on topic :)

Cal, with low light you probably won't need to add any kno3, depending on stocking level vs. demand.

Ok well I'm going dry anyway so I can choose to leave it out or add some at will.

Thanks PD

What about mag sulphate? I have soft water. Not tested gh

Last edited:
Yes, if you have soft water a gh booster that adds Mg and Ca might be necessary. GH of my tap water is around 8 so I don't add mgso4 nor am I familiar with GH boosters. I know Seachem's Equilibrium is a popular one. Mgso4 is commonly added, but a gh booster would add not only Mg but Ca too, which is also important.

Edited to add: mgso4 is aka common household Epsom salt. It should be cheaper to just buy it at a local store.

Yes, if you have soft water a gh booster that adds Mg and Ca might be necessary. GH of my tap water is around 8 so I don't add mgso4 nor am I familiar with GH boosters. I know Seachem's Equilibrium is a popular one. Mgso4 is commonly added, but a gh booster would add not only Mg but Ca too, which is also important.

I've got a bit of coral that might help with that.

My other problem is that my specific micros are not on the calculator list. When I put the nearest thing in, plant-prod (Chelated) it gives me a fairly large amount compared to the instruction guide that came with the pack.

For example the guide from chart is about 1 1/2 tables spoons per 500ml container with 20ml doses.

But the card say 1 teaspoon! In 500ml of water and dose 30ml

Doesn't quite add up. Should I follow the card in this instance because the manufacturers version of micros may vary in concentration.

Be careful with that Equalibrium, I tested it out doing re-mineralized water and it left an unsightly white powder on the gravel (even if mixed extremely well)

I've got a bit of coral that might help with that.

My other problem is that my specific micros are not on the calculator list. When I put the nearest thing in, plant-prod (Chelated) it gives me a fairly large amount compared to the instruction guide that came with the pack.

For example the guide from chart is about 1 1/2 tables spoons per 500ml container with 20ml doses.

But the card say 1 teaspoon! In 500ml of water and dose 30ml

Doesn't quite add up. Should I follow the card in this instance because the manufacturers version of micros may vary in concentration.

Try putting the recommended dose in the calculator and see how much the Fe result is. It's probably plenty for low light. The calculator is only looking at Fe, and shooting for 0.5 ppm. I would dose a micro mix at no more than around 0.2 ppm Fe. If you need any more Fe than that (not likely), you can just supplement with iron chelate instead of adding more of your micro mix.

Search around, there are low-light EI guidelines to use as a starting point if you're unsure.

Iron gets complicated and has many wrong myths. Absolutely don't dose more micros just to get to your target Fe level. Dose a type of cleated iron and which cleated iron is a topic for a whole new thread if you really want to get into some science.

Edited to add: mgso4 is aka common household Epsom salt. It should be cheaper to just buy it at a local store.

I've wondered on that for mgso4. I have gh of 7 or 8 and wondered why I was dosing it? It's part of a ferts package mix.

I've always wondered if plants do use that much mg or if it's really for soft water only?

I've wondered on that for mgso4. I have gh of 7 or 8 and wondered why I was dosing it? It's part of a ferts package mix.

I've always wondered if plants do use that much mg or if it's really for soft water only?

Plants don't use a whole lot of Mg, but you don't want to run out either.

Even with moderately hard water, it depends. It's possible that it contains a lot of calcium but very little magnesium. In that case you'd want to add some, but not so much that GH gets out of hand.

Iron gets complicated and has many wrong myths. Absolutely don't dose more micros just to get to your target Fe level. Dose a type of cleated iron and which cleated iron is a topic for a whole new thread if you really want to get into some science.

Yeah, I've heard this too. That's why I just stick with API Leaf Zone for extra iron. It seems to work well for me.

Plants don't use a whole lot of Mg, but you don't want to run out either.

Even with moderately hard water, it depends. It's possible that it contains a lot of calcium but very little magnesium. In that case you'd want to add some, but not so much that GH gets out of hand.

Good point, I'll see if the water report has anything.

Back
Top Bottom