EI vs PPS-pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim_s

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been reading about both for days - there is so much conflicting information on the internet it is crazy.

If I go to a discus website I am told the discus must be within a tolerance of 5 PPM for Nitrates, yet for the plants is it recommended for Nitrates around 20 - 30 PPM yet I have never had a fish die in 30 PPM nitrates.

EI Dosing seems too simple - Really ideal and forgiving.

PPS-Pro - Has a little grey area, the official website mentioned that you do not need to test but the strategy almost requires it.

I am leaning on using EI but only 50% of the recommended dosing and just up it step by step until I reach Nitrate levels of 10 PPM.

50% of the normal EI dosage is nearly the same thing as PPS-Pro. Understand that the only real difference between the two is in the dosage. EI doses more ferts than the plants will use to ensure no nutrient could possibly be deficient while PPS-Pro tries to supply the precise amount the plants need each day with minimal excess. Using a half dose of EI is much closer to PPS-Pro than actual EI dosing. You'll be trying to dose just what the plants need and no more. That's the premise of PPS-Pro.

I am absolutely down with trying PPS-Pro in this case and work my way up if I do not see any ill effects with the fish.

I use PPS-Pro on my planted tanks, even my 220g. What I like about it is you can adjust the amounts you need, either up or down to fit the needs of your tank. It's worked great for me.

I have Discus - I know I have asked this question many times but,

"Am I risking their health by deploying a PPS-Pro dosing strategy?"

I swear I ask 10 people 50% say yes, 50% say no LOL

Excluding human error - would PPS-Pro in conjunction with Discus truly be a problem?

Personally I don't feel you will be and if your truely worried about nitrates, mix your nitrate solution in a seperate container and dose by half. Then test your water to see how much nitrates your tank is reading. Personally I don't use the MgSO4 in my macro mix as I get enough magnesium from my tap water during water changes.

Personally I don't feel you will be and if your truely worried about nitrates, mix your nitrate solution in a seperate container and dose by half. Then test your water to see how much nitrates your tank is reading. Personally I don't use the MgSO4 in my macro mix as I get enough magnesium from my tap water during water changes.

Never even thought about magnesium - I dosed back in the day when I had African Cichlids but that is the only time I have ever concerned myself.

In PPS-Pro they have that added in to the macro mix. I just order that $20 macro/micro mix package they sell. It doesn't have magnesium included.

I take it from this conversation that magnesium is the item to watch out for? - In any EI / PPS documentation I have read - I have not come across magnesium.

Just read your other post and didn't realize you weren't in the US. You should list your country and see if anyone can tell you where you can get the ferts you need.

Ontario Canada!

I have almost 6 companies now trying to research both CSM+B and Potassium Nitrate.

Thank you - I am reading that website now! Looks good! - Also address my concerns regarding KNO3.

So - Task # 1 is to figure out how to get Co2 into my tank! I wonder where I can buy a new needle valve on the weekend. Also found a hydroponics company that can get me all the items for PPS-Pro dosing.

Last edited:
1 difference in the recipes between EI / PPS-Pro.

"K2SO4" - Sulfur is not within the EI instructions.

I wonder if for now I should does this as well?

Right now I am running a reduced version of EI adding dry directly to the tank and looking to switch to PPS-Pro down the road.

I have no clue about adding that to the micro mix but I know for about a year my 220g planted has done fine with dosing PPS-Pro without having any nutrient deficiencies.

Rivercats said:
I have no clue about adding that to the micro mix but I know for about a year my 220g planted has done fine with dosing PPS-Pro without having any nutrient deficiencies.

For me PPS-Pro only started to work well when I reduced the MgSO4 by about 70% for whatever reason. After I did that in my latest mix my plants improved markedly.

For me PPS-Pro only started to work well when I reduced the MgSO4 by about 70% for whatever reason. After I did that in my latest mix my plants improved markedly.

I don't add any MgSO4 to my macro mix because I get enough in my tap water.

Alright - I will add K2SO4 to my dosing to see what effect this has. I have noticed my amazon swords tip has blackened which is new.

Back
Top Bottom