emersed to submerged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some wisteria that was apparently grown out of the water now after putting it in my tank I realize this now if I understand this right it will shed all of these leaves and grow the under water kind? I have started to notice that the leaves seem like they are dieing to keep from having a mess in my tank can I go ahead and cut all these leaves off with some siccors and plant just the bare stem or will this just kill it

Do you have a picture? Are you sure it's aquatic wisteria and not the shrub/vine grown in gardens?

img_1754587_0_e945f55678704a6a7624c7fd890eb0a9.jpg

I would leave the leaves and wait to see if they will rot. They might not. I don't think that's wisteria though.

That is definitely emersed growth. I've seen it come into the LPS that way. Just will have to wait for it to start growing submerged.

but are the leaves gonna fall off cause I've had a couple come off already if so id rather just go ahead and take them off

To tell you the truth, I don't really know. You would have to ask somebody that has dealt with transitioning emersed > submerged.

Definitely wistera. I bought some like that but now the new growth looks totally different!

image-3785192774.jpg

so pleechford did your leaves fall off before the new ones grew like that?

blizowman1 said:
so pleechford did your leaves fall off before the new ones grew like that?

What I'm going to do is when they get a little bigger is just cut the old stems off so it'll be all new growth :)

Agreed. I got lazy last month and didn't trim back my wisteria and a couple of them grew out of the tank and became the terrestrial leaves. I just picked the leaves off and trimmed the stock down and replanted. They are doing well in one of my betta tanks currently.

so when I planted them should I have cut them and made them real short...I was actually thinking about cutting all the leaves off and planting bare stem so it would all be new growth. and o have like three or four stems tied together towards the bottom should I have planted them all separately and spaced or will this work too

blizowman1 said:
so when I planted them should I have cut them and made them real short...I was actually thinking about cutting all the leaves off and planting bare stem so it would all be new growth. and o have like three or four stems tied together towards the bottom should I have planted them all separately and spaced or will this work too

I planted mine as is and they turned out great. I would wait for them to grow some before cutting them.

img_1757753_0_289bb59c53bc56c690136d17628069a8.jpg

so what am i supposed to do with all these roots starting to come out of the stems all over ???

blizowman1 said:
so what am i supposed to do with all these roots starting to come out of the stems all over ???

Not a thing! I let mine grow. You could cut them if you want but it shows the plant is healthy

since its so close the the stems bottom where i have them planted in the gravel should i pull it up trim it right under the roots coming out and replant it with the stems that sprouted under the gravel or do you thing it would have roots under the gravel already since theyre growing out the sides already?

blizowman1 said:
since its so close the the stems bottom where i have them planted in the gravel should i pull it up trim it right under the roots coming out and replant it with the stems that sprouted under the gravel or do you thing it would have roots under the gravel already since theyre growing out the sides already?

If you'd like? It would take care of some of the old emersed plant

Back
Top Bottom