Enough co2 from fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon high with a kleiner bar sword and amazon sword. It is stocked with 2 lyretail mollies, 1 platy, and 4 zebra danios and 1 amano shrimp. Parameters are 0 ammonia and nitrite, around 20 nitrate. The lighting is low .75 wpg but I am upgrading soon to 2 wpg. If I don't have an air stone and zero surface agitation, will the fish produce enough c02 for the plants to use?

2 watts per gallon is considered "low light". You do not need CO2. But, watts per gallon has become "old school"...they use PARs now. Still, 3-4 watts/gallon is when CO2 is necessary. Having said that...there are sure to be opposing opinions following.

From my understanding they say 3 W and under is lowlight 3 W and over is highlight. Dcut is right that we use par now.... but wattage still gives you a good reference. More importantly is your goal? if you want all out fast-growing plants or slower growing background. Hardy plants are good slow growers for low-tech tanks

Now to answer your question.
The amount of co2 that the fish give off is pretty minimal to see substantial growth from. And yah you don't really need co2 anyways.

Back
Top Bottom