enough light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treedae

Aquarium Advice Regular
After reading the planting basics article on this site I'm wondering if I have enought light. It recommends 2 watts/gallon and I'm currently using only 1 20 watt bulb in a 29 gallon. However, it also says to use from 5000-10000K, but my bulb (Power-Glo) is 18000K. What does this K mean anyways and does the extra K that my bulb have give it more Kick :roll: ?

I don't seem to be having too much trouble with my plants (Cabomba caroliniana and Cryptocoryne wendtii), but would like a more lush garden if that can be achieved.

Two watts per gallon would be a minimum of 58 watts over your tank. You have 20 watts. While this might be enough for some Crypts I doubt that your Cabomba is going to last for long. K is short for Kelvin and basically means that the color of the light is the same as a carbon block (as I recall) heated to that degree of Kelvin.

Magic plant bulbs don't and can't make up for lack of watts.

Yeah, you know it's funny b/c since I inducted my new "magical" bulb, I've been pulling bunny rabbits out of the tank faster than I can skim out their hair.

So what kind of reasonably priced options do I have? I've been trying to find double bulb tops for my tank to no avail (unless they're made of kryptonite or similar and priced at a rate that would force me to take out another student loan). Do 24" 60 watt fluorescent bulbs exist b/c I didn't see any in my search.

Yeah, I'd go with a PC fixture too. You could get a 24 " double 55 watt fixture for like 80 bucks I believe from Coralife, and their stuff works great for me, just make sure that you don't get a 50/50 bulb and get a true sunlight bulb, in the 10,000K - 6500K range, on FW I think the 6500K looks better, but that's personal preference!!!

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_aqualight.html

This page has a 24" dual 36 watt for like 85 bucks, that would most likely be a great fixture.

[/url]

Go to www.ahsupply.com and get a 55 watt kit. You can put it in your existing strip light and actually grow a surprising number of plants with it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Any ideas on where I might be able to find a nice clear top on which to place these new fixtures? Right now I have a Perfecto top which only will allow light through from a 24" X 4" area.

Any fish store, even petsmart/petco, will have glass tops in all the standard tank dimensions. One for a 29gallon shouldn't run more than about $25.

Actually a glass top for a 29 gallon tank should not run more than about $15. If it's more than that find a new LFS.

No. The lights you put over the aquarium are still only a fraction as bright as sunlight.

Ok, so I'm trying to decide on a bulb......is the higher the K the more "blue" the light is?

Also, are there any setups that allow for a gradual decrease in light to avoid sudden light change "shocks"?

you can make a moonlight system, but it is not necessary. if you're interested, there are a couple topics in the DIY section regarding moonlights, and cichlidforum.com has a few good articles in it's 'library.'

Higher K numbers are more blue. 6500K to 10,000K range is fine for fw. It is up to your tastes as to whether you get a warmer bulb lower K (more red) or cooler bulb higher K (more blue).

Back
Top Bottom