Enough Oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!
I started my tank 2 months ago; you can see the tank specs in my signature. Though I do not have much lighting (<1 Watt/Gal), most plants are doing very well. I used to have an air pump on all the time, but I've read that it's not great for a planted tank (pushes out CO2), so I'm experimenting without it (I like how quiet it is too). I turned it off yesterday and so far everyone's doing fine, the PH is still ok (about 6.5).
The Hornwort, Vallisneria, onion plant and tiger lotus (total about 12 plants) are all growing and reproducing, but they are not pearling. The amazon swords, cardamine and anubias (total about 8 plants) aren't growing very much, but look ok. They've all been in there for about a month and a half.
So how will I know if there is enough oxygen in there (I'd like to know about it before I find my fish gasping for air)? Do you think the plants are producing enough oxygen even though there isn't much lighting? Is pearling necessary? Should I turn the pump on during the night? How about if I let the water level get slightly below the filter output so it creates some turbulence?
Thanks in advance!!! :D

Oops... instead of Cardamine, I meant to say Bacopa (my LFS had said it was cardamine, but turned out to be Bacopa).... just in case it matters.

IMO, the plants are producing enough O2 for your fish. I have the exact same filter in my low light 55g and have never needed additional air for the fish.

Pearling will occur only if you're adding CO2 to tank, which you shouldn't need given the 1 wpg.

HTH

Thanks Brian, it does help. I guess I'll keep the pump off and just keep checking to make sure that my fish look ok. I'm glad to know that I shouldn't expect pearling.
By the way, your tanks look great!!! I think planted tanks are the best! I can't believe at first I hesiated about getting plants... now I love them just about as much as I love the fish! :D
Thanks again

Good work Brian.
Low light tanks don't really need added CO2, because the plants don't grow fast enough to need any extra. For that reason, it's ok to run an airstone in a low light planted tank, because it won't lower CO2 below normal atmospheric levels (about 3ppm).

So in your case, you can go either way without negative side effects.

Thanks Malkore! I'll probably keep the airstone off for right now as an experiment, but since you say it won't hurt my plants, I guess I could just turn it back on if ever I feel it's better for my fish.
I'd give you kudos if I had any :wink: ... I just realized (by giving some to Brian) that it substracts from your own stock.... :oops:

Well I'll give half mine to malkore for you Sonia. How's that? :D

Sonia, since you like this site so much and want to show your appreciation to those that have helped you, here's some kudos to start you off :D

YAY!!! I got lots of kudos!!! Thanks Menagerie!!!

Brian: You can keep the kudos, I can give mofo som emyself now!! 8)

Back
Top Bottom