Envirolite 6400K Grow Lamp (200W)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I need some not that expensive lighting and saw this bulb. Can I use it for a 55g planted tank?

redbulb.jpg

Thanks.

only one???

many use those crew in CF bulbs like that, but i would think on a 55 you would need at least 4 (one each foot) but then again i have never tried CF on a tank larger then a 10, so i would get more opinions...

if it is indeed 200 watts some of those would probabaly give you enough light, you will need to use CO2 and the full compliment of ferts though...

Since it is 200W I though I would only use one. That would set me to over 3wpg wouldn't it? I am going to use pressurized CO2 and ferts.

How are you going to spread the light. With only one, Half of you tank would be dark.

Sorry rkilling1 forgot to mention that the bulb is 50cm long. But most probably would still need another one.

punky said:
Sorry rkilling1 forgot to mention that the bulb is 50cm long. But most probably would still need another one.

holy moly, that is a long bulb. I didn't think it was going to be that long. Just make sure you support it on both ends.

That is no problem lol .. the good thing is that this bulb takes 220V directly without ballast. So do you think that I would need another one or just one will do?

punky said:
That is no problem lol .. the good thing is that this bulb takes 220V directly without ballast. So do you think that I would need another one or just one will do?
wow, i did not think it was that long... i still would put one on each end point twords the center of the tank (or butt to butt at the center)

The only thing that is not yet clear is that if I put 2 .. I would have 400W which is a bit excessive I think.

punky said:
The only thing that is not yet clear is that if I put 2 .. I would have 400W which is a bit excessive I think.
no you have 200 watts over each end of your tank :D.... but either way you look at it, you still have a vey high light tank...do the bulbs come in 100 watts? :?

Keep in mind that you will loose a fair amount of the light due to restrike. The shape of the bulb, while better than a spiral, is still going to result in a high amount of light loss. Depending on how good your reflectors are, you may end up loosing even more light. In the end two of those bulbs may end being closer to 1/2 to 2/3 of the total light being output. That's just sheer guessing though. The only way to tell for sure would be to give it a try and see how the plants do.

Purrbox said:
Keep in mind that you will loose a fair amount of the light due to restrike.

That's what I was thinking. It's not like a 200w MH or something.

I agree two is your best bet. That's 400w and even is 1/2 that makes it to the tank, that's a lot of light.

Well that's a bit of a problem I was going ebay.

Back
Top Bottom