Equilibrium RO/DI Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently bought a used RO unit. The unit came with two sets of new filter cartridges and the membrane was replaced less than 6 months ago but it looks like the two polishers or the DI needs to be replaced. So just a little background info, my tap water comes out at like 40-60ppm nitrate an the GH and KH are literally off the charts. So once I got this unit all hooked up and running for a while I tested the finished product ( keep in mine I need to replace the polisher/DI , along with poor tap water conditions ) and the new readings were 10ppm nitrate and the GH & KH were both at 4*. My question is do I still need to dose Equilibrium since I'm already in the ideal GH & KH for a planted tank? If I do need to dose won't this increase my GH & KH? Jut a little confused. I want to switch over to RO/DI only. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You may want to just go ahead and replace all the filters on the ro/di unit, there shouldn't be any nitrate coming out after the di. The point of ro/di is 0 tds water, and that has nothing but h2o ;)

You may want to just go ahead and replace all the filters on the ro/di unit, there shouldn't be any nitrate coming out after the di. The point of ro/di is 0 tds water, and that has nothing but h2o ;)

I just replaced the two DI but it's just temporary. It came with two filters for the top it said chlorine taste and odor removal. The unit has two refillable cartridges for the DI resin. I'll have to leave it for now until I get some resin and repack it. In the meanwhile ill test the water from the unit now to see if there is a difference

Well after replacing those DI filters there is now 0 ppm nitrate and the GH & KH are both 3. I still have the same question though. Do I need to be dosing equilibrium even those my GH & KH are at a good level.

Back
Top Bottom