established planted amazon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davemac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a few picks of before and after of my planted tank been running nearly a year now takes a bit of work but worth it.

Attachments

• image-4148635311.jpg
    image-4148635311.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 280
  • image-4224460623.jpg
    image-4224460623.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 278
That looks awesome!! Amazon is right

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Fdsh5 said:
That looks awesome!! Amazon is right

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Cheers.. had battles with phosphate and hair algae but all good now:)

Coleallensmom said:
What a difference a year can make in plant growth! Looks terrific!

Fish seem to like it cardinal tetras and lemon tetras have great fun along with lots of cory cats and my bristlenose pair have just produced twenty plus which are stuck onto everything and enjoying cucumber :)

mudraker said:
It is a labor of love, and it shows.

Thank you, getting better with all things fish or water related forums like this are a great help :)

azure bones said:
Looks great I'm ready for mine too grow in

Jbl ferropol is the best product for growth IMO and frequent water changes also trimming will stimulate growth got a lot to do with t5 lighting so all in all I had a lot of help :)

Davemac, was just looking through posts and came across your pics. I'm going to change my tank from artificial to a planted amazon for my angels. I'm totally new so maybe you could give me a couple pointers?

lildragonflies said:
Davemac, was just looking through posts and came across your pics. I'm going to change my tank from artificial to a planted amazon for my angels. I'm totally new so maybe you could give me a couple pointers?

Ok large plants to rear amazon swords are perfect about three should be enough mid sized leafy plants to midle with long grass on sides some bogwood is a must if dry soak in big bucket cover with boiling water and leave, empty water every night to release tanins from wood and top up again with boiling water for min of five days cool down water and place in tank, get a nice centrepiece plant and plant of to one side purchase jave moss and tie onto bogwood using fishing line is best as it does not rot like thread, moss balls are great additions as are a few freshwater shrimp, nerite snails good kulie loaches at least two if using sand as they are great diggers and will turn it over for you, corys great too if starting tank from scratch place a good jbl fert soil about inch thick over bottom of the tank prior to putting in sand lfs should be good advice for different brands, this will help when planting as sand has very little nutrients so this is a must,good lighting also essential t5 or better only ten hours a day though or you will get algae. For the front short grass and dwarf anubis plants with pebbles and stones optional, floating plants I recommend amazon frogbit nice roots fish nibble grows easy and you take out bit by bit when it grows so as to leave at least two thirds of surface clear. Lots of oxgen airstone extra internal filter helps also if you have room and I also use small nano koralia blowers to give some flow to the tank and plants fish love it but not to much you do not want too much just a little. When looking for plants at the lfs look at the back of the labels on each plant it will give u the length they grow too approx in inches tall, med, small normally colour coded which helps guys at lfs are always good to ask but buy less than you think you need as they grow out quick and the grass can be split into bunches from one plant and grows and shoots runners after you have the initial plants in let them grow out a little move as required and enjoy the garden as it grows your fish will love u for it! Good luck with the plants whatever u buy:)

Back
Top Bottom