Evening and moonlight LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just sharing.

Attachments

• image-3536057781.jpg
    image-3536057781.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 257
  • image-4099393084.jpg
    image-4099393084.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 224
hi, nice tank! i just started doing a planted tank and am thinking of using leds but not sure if it has enough light intensity to grow plants. what brand leds are you using?

I have the 48" marineland reef capable led and a 48" single bulb glo t5ho for 90g. Puts me in the med range. The led has 10000k white and t5 is 6700k. I have the 6700 in front and led in back. Very nice mix. I block all but 2 blue actinic LEDs for moonlight.

Plants:
Wisteria
Watersprite
Vals
Anacharis
Anubias nana and petite
Java fern
Moss balls
Moneywart
Crypt wendtii
Crypt spiralis
Mid ground plant I forgot

I filter with a G6 and emperor hob
Dose carbon and liquid ferts
I have a good clean up crew (ottos, sae, ghost shrimp and snails

So far so good

The Marineland Reef Bright fixtures will put most tanks into the medium to high light range for plants. Good LEDs pack a lot of punch. You could try a more light-demanding plant and I think you'll have pretty good success.

johmartz, LEDs work wonderfully for plants. I've got 30W of Cree XR-Es over a 20H and it's a thriving high-light planted tank. Check out the LED link in my signature for the build.

BigJim said:
The Marineland Reef Bright fixtures will put most tanks into the medium to high light range for plants. Good LEDs pack a lot of punch. You could try a more light-demanding plant and I think you'll have pretty good success.

johmartz, LEDs work wonderfully for plants. I've got 30W of Cree XR-Es over a 20H and it's a thriving high-light planted tank. Check out the LED link in my signature for the build.

Thanks for the link Big Jim! I am currently using a 36 in. Marineland double bright LED fixture for my 40H with anubias, java fern, java moss, red wendii, and cobomba in it. I wonder if I should add more light or if this is enough light for these plants.

xfactor, the benefits of moonlights are still being discovered. It's a step towards a better simulation of nature, so fish act more naturally with them. SW people have gotten their corals to spawn by adding moonlights.

johmartz, depending on your cabomba species, that should be enough light. LEDs have no problem punching through the depth of the water. Also, if you add more light, you'll probably have to start injecting CO2.

johmartz, depending on your cabomba species, that should be enough light. LEDs have no problem punching through the depth of the water. Also, if you add more light, you'll probably have to start injecting CO2.

I have the cabomba carolina(?) I think. I added a 36 in. t5 HO single bulb with a coralife flora sun 39w in it to bring the wattage up a bit and promote photosynthesis. Does that make my light range between low to medium? And will I be needing a co2 injector then? Right now I am dosing my plants with flourish line of ferts using seachem's dosing chart. Btw, my tank is 40H if I have not mentioned it yet.

Back
Top Bottom