Ever wonder what a rhizome looks like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a picture of one of my mini swords. The long horizontal strand to the bottom right of the picture is the rhizome (a way of propegating a plant without sexual reproduction). It extends about 3 inches and has two new stems growing from it. I've had these swords for about 2 or 3 weeks now. This is an exciting development!

Just thought you might be interested if you hadn't seen a rhizome before...

And if your browser's working the same way mine is, you get to see snow falling past the plant, too. Neat!

Neat...when is it ready to cut off of the main plant? Will you separate them when the rhizome grows bigger? Now I see how planted tanks could get overgrown!

The snow is falling all over the site for me :D I viewed Reefrunner's gallery and it was snowing on his corals!

I'm actually trying to get the swords to overgrow the tank bottom. It's often very gratifying to have a completely green bottom like in Takashi Amano's show tanks (look him up if you haven't seen his work!).

Gonna buy some Marsilea quadrifolia also for the 55G tank, since that's a great foreground coverage plant, too.

Back
Top Bottom