Evolve 4 Algae starting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an algae growth question.

I started up this tank, fish in, on February 2nd. I seeded the filter with media from my older tanks. There is also a tiny bag of Purigen in the sump.

Aqueon Evolve 4
Slightly planted
77 degrees
Ammonia .1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20
Ph 7.6

PWC 10% daily, 50% weekly
Located at work.

The built in LED lights were on 9 hours a day (while I work). When I noticed the algae growing on the Anubias yesterday I changed the timer to 4 hours in the AM and 3 1/2 in the afternoon.

I also had a desk lamp on while I was there. It is a 9W OttLite.

I am dosing with Excel and complete, and there is a broken piece under the Amazon and DHG.

There is one half grown Betta in the tank. I tried him with a shrimp his size and he tried to hunt it down and kill it. I tried him with a tiny pond snail and he ate it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mary

Attachments

• image-1553516205.jpg
    image-1553516205.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-377181936.jpg
    image-377181936.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3244926914.jpg
    image-3244926914.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1338081746.jpg
    image-1338081746.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 69
  • image-108572878.jpg
    image-108572878.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-4171268275.jpg
    image-4171268275.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 80
You have diatoms which is normal in new setups. Cutting light will help but they will in time go away on their own as they use the excess silicates in the water. You can easily wipe them off but they will just come back. If they really bother you in a tank that small you can get 1 nerite snail to keep the diatoms cleaned up. That's what I did in my 6g Fluval Edge. Nerites can't breed in freshwater so you won't get over run by snails.

You have diatoms which is normal in new setups. Cutting light will help but they will in time go away on their own as they use the excess silicates in the water. You can easily wipe them off but they will just come back. If they really bother you in a tank that small you can get 1 nerite snail to keep the diatoms cleaned up. That's what I did in my 6g Fluval Edge. Nerites can't breed in freshwater so you won't get over run by snails.

I'm afraid the viscous baby Betta will kill the nerite like he did the pond snail.

Do the diatoms injure the plants?

If thick enough diatoms can smother a plants leaves. And nerites are too big for a betta to eat, even small ones. We have 2 betta nanos and both have nerites.

Back
Top Bottom