Excel and low KH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I understand that it's not good to add CO2 if you have low KH, but what about adding Excel? I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere, unless I just missed it.

I'm considering adding a small amount of Excel to my low-light tank. My KH is 2 right now. I've been trying to raise it with crushed coral, but I'm running out of places to put it (in filter, under gravel)!

Thanks!

...and if you run into problems, you can supplement Ca and Mg with Flourish Equilibrium. I happen to suffer from the same problems which have disappeared since I started using it.

YEESH! Swear I thought I saw both low GH and KH in the OP. That's what happens when I read and post in a bunch of threads closely together, I get confused!

So yes, your KH is your carbonate hardness which affects pH, and Excel will not change it.

What I should have said was if your GH is also low (a lot of times GH and KH go hand in hand but not always), that increasing the carbon source by Excel might make the GH a factor...

Thanks for catching that, I would HATE to start confusing people. :oops:

vthokie said:
I understand that it's not good to add CO2 if you have low KH, but what about adding Excel? I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere, unless I just missed it.

I'm considering adding a small amount of Excel to my low-light tank. My KH is 2 right now. I've been trying to raise it with crushed coral, but I'm running out of places to put it (in filter, under gravel)!

Thanks!

You can inject CO2 even if your KH was 0, but being able to measure the amount of CO2 would be difficult unless you had a direct CO2 measuring kit. I am injecting CO2 and my KH is 2 just like yours. So I wouldn't worry about it. It is better to keep a steady KH then to keep changing it.

HTH.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the KH. i just worry every time I add something to the tank! I really appreciate everyone's help.

Back
Top Bottom