Excel, DIY CO2, 10 gallon tanks and stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I know I haven't been able to get the stability in my tanks I need with DIY alone. I have vals but I am only looking for option as possible supliment with Excel so they should be fine. I have 80 watts over two 10 gallon tanks and I need to stabilize my CO because I am tired of BBA and I know my nutrients are stable dosing EI. Lets of fast grwoing plants, wisteria, sunset hygro, water sprite, corkscrew vals, etc.

I have considered setting up a a DIY reactor with a powerhead that feeds both tanks, yes I said both tanks. The tanks would be coupled with pvc pipe so that the flow from one goes into the reactor and then out of the reactor into the other tank staying even through the "bridge".

I have also thought that the possible cause of the BBA is the lack of circulation due to heavy planting. The rational is that my plants grow toward my HOB and seem to grow better in the outflow of it. Would small powerheads possibly help eleviate the BBA alage because I have never seen it in the outflow of the HOB.

I have also considered getting Excel if needed but I don't how cost effective it would be since I normally have an average of 40-60ppm with my DIY CO2.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I can not go pressurized unless someone has a complete setup for less than $50. :bday:

Edit:

One other question:
Is there way I can modify my AC20 HOB in order to create more flow? Maybe plastic tubing running behind the jungle? I hate turning on my airstone because it just makes the BBA worse.

I have considered setting up a a DIY reactor with a powerhead that feeds both tanks, yes I said both tanks. The tanks would be coupled with pvc pipe so that the flow from one goes into the reactor and then out of the reactor into the other tank staying even through the "bridge".
This is also a good idea since you'll be dosing for 20 total gallons, which will also increase stability. I like this idea. If you wanted, you could use an outboard pump behind the tanks (Mag Drive is supposedly fine like this -- overclockers are known to use them), so you'd have a nice closed-loop style CO2 reactor.

Many small powerheads will help circulate nutrients but its hard to get one that is appropriate for a 10. I find even a Hydor Pico is a lot of current. I think realistically you could add one powerhead in a 10, and the plan above of an outboard reactor may be enough and most effective.

You'd only be using Excel to supplement your DIY CO2, so it is extremely cost effective. Cheap experiment even if you find Excel unnecessary.

Good luck.

Check out my thread regarding the DIY diffuser. I think a smaller PH would be perfect for your tanks (as it will increase circulation while offering better diffusion). You would need 1 for each tank however.

And I would recommend 2 CO2 bottles (if you already are not using 2) for stability reasons. I think that was a good portion of my tanks problems as well.

Yah, I run two 2 liter bottles, have since I set it up. I like the powerhead idea and have been tosing around a couple different idea using one I just haven't decided which one to use. The other problem I see is that with the powerhead, the intake is going to get plugged really quickly, maybe a prefilter to prevent clogging is prudent but that would reduce flow. Has to be better than the AC as far as cleanup and slime goes though. The faster current should prevent the slime from collecting as bad. I have also thought about setting up a CO2 tank but that is in the future and would require a lot of plumbing for 3 tanks fed by one CO2 source. Thought about the viewtainer but the current isn't high enough. I am going to try just a powerhead to start with for circulation and see what happens. I hope te ones I have aren't too much flow as they are adjustable. Once I see how well they will operate and stay clean I may modify them to have the CO2 going into them.

I've had my PH for a couple weeks now and have never had it clog. Because the intake holes are so big, it works just like a HOB filter (without the filter media). When it turns off, any large leaves or debris that would be on the intake fall off, and anything small enough to get through comes right out the other end. My only complaint is the high flow rate (its variable but on the lowest setting), but they make a smaller model that should work better for you.

That first one flows even more than mine (not good), the second one looks almost perfect, and the 3rd doesn't say what its flow rate is. Mine like the 3rd is adjustable, but still not low enough even on the lowest setting for my liking. I have never heard of the Rio brand however but so far is your best bet...

What I would suggest is go to your local chain store and see if they have the smaller version of mine (AquaClear #201). I know they make a smaller version, and its possible your store will have it. My Aquaclear is virtually silent and all of their products I've used so far are excellent.

HTH

Local stores carry 5 types. all over 200 g/h. Selection here is really pathetic. Backward town with a backward selection. Don't get me wrong, I love the town but the selection is better in Alaska.

I thought the first one because of the diffuser but I would have to hear someones experience with it before I would order it.

Most of these are used with UGF's and as such the higher flow is generally better, but for our uses we don't want the plants or fish to be blown around. All of my fish right now are actually huddled together in one corner treading water, I don't know if I like that.....

I might have to find a way to either redirect the water where the plants/fish are not bothered as much, or put up some barrier that causes a lower flow area where they can rest.

Or try higher current fish. Many flimsy plants -- like H. polysperma "Rosanervig" -- will adapt and even grow against current.

Will have to go with whatever I can find. I really am beginning to think to think it's current though because I removed a whole bunch of wisteria and my good tank is now losing all the BBA and string algae it had, what little it was. I think a powerhead will work wonders. That and putting the CO2 in it will make the plants lots happier and hopefully cut the BBA off in it's tracks.

Do you mean for me to try the higher current or to get higher current fish :wink: I think it for me to try a higher current and that is always an option. As long as I get no surface break and just get waves it should work just fine.

Heh. I think you should try high current, and if the fish don't like high current, get fast current fish, fish_4_all. :)

Cherry Barbs did pretty good for me at 140-200gph through 8gal with plenty of plant cover to duck in. Others I thought did well were White Cloud Minnows (which I think are way underrated looks wise), Blue tetras, Kuhlii loaches, a Hillstream loach, Psuedomugil (aka Blue-eyed Rainbowfish) and Otocinclus.

Well I have neons, corys, BN, ottos, and swordtails so they should like it just fine. Maybe I will do just that. I think it will also help with light penetration to the lower stems of the Sunset.

Hopefully my plants will like it as much.

Here is the final question then. I have the plants the heaviest opposite the AC HOB and heater. Would you put the powerhead in front of the AC or on the other side of the tank? I was thinking of putting it in front of it where the outflow comes out for compaction of ugliness and having everything in one location. The maybe putting my corkscrew vals so they can grow all around them and hide the whole works. This would also help to keep a more level temperature too.

Wha do you think?

fish_4_all said:
Well I have neons, corys, BN, ottos, and swordtails so they should like it just fine. Maybe I will do just that. I think it will also help with light penetration to the lower stems of the Sunset.

Hopefully my plants will like it as much.

Here is the final question then. I have the plants the heaviest opposite the AC HOB and heater. Would you put the powerhead in front of the AC or on the other side of the tank? I was thinking of putting it in front of it where the outflow comes out for compaction of ugliness and having everything in one location. The maybe putting my corkscrew vals so they can grow all around them and hide the whole works. This would also help to keep a more level temperature too.

Wha do you think?

Here's what I did with my tank:

The AC HOB is slightly to the right of the AC PH which is in the top lefthand corner. I have the PH angled down so it joins the waterfall current from the HOB and I can see individual bubbles flying all the way to the other side of the tank and around the back. This should work great in your setup, and defiantely does not detract from the look of the tank (since both PH and HOB are next to each other).

afterwoflash.jpg

Here's a pic before the trimming to give you an idea of how planted my tank was!

priorwoflash.jpg

I think in 10gals you could put the powerhead practically anywhere and effectively increase circulation. I would probably have it opposite all the plants pointed towards them. I think your idea of putting all the equipment on one side and hiding with plants is good. I would suggest against Vals and rather use a plant like Anubias, so you can plant them closer to the powerhead and keep lots of room. Should also help in keeping algae off the Anubias or other stiff slow growers.

czcz said:
I think in 10gals you could put the powerhead practically anywhere and effectively increase circulation. I would probably have it opposite all the plants pointed towards them. I think your idea of putting all the equipment on one side and hiding with plants is good. I would suggest against Vals and rather use a plant like Anubias, so you can plant them closer to the powerhead and keep lots of room. Should also help in keeping algae off the Anubias or other stiff slow growers.

That's almost exactly what I've done. You can see the powerhead angled downward directly at the anubias (since the flow won't move the leaves/plant). The anubias leaves then act as a diffuser forcing the bubbles and water in several directions around the tank.

I've just got to figure out a way to get my fish to use the rest of the tank. They spend 90% of their time now huddled in the front left corner (an area of relatively high flow), and some are starting to nip each other.

Yah, I hope to be able to direct it directly at my nana and also at my Ludwigia repens and Rotala rotundifolia to see if that helps them.

Back
Top Bottom