Excel Flourish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hiya,
I have a newly planted/cycled 36 gal tank. I bought the Eco-substrate and some Excel Flourish. Could you please advise as to if and when I should give the first dose of Excel? Thanks. Denise

You can start right away. Do you have ferts as well? Excel is just a carbon source for the plants. They will need ferts along with that.

Dose the excel daily every morning about an hour before the lights turn on, for ferts you could probably just get off using Seachem's Comprehensive.

What type lighting do you have and how many plants? Also what type plants? You want to use the Excel daily but depending on the answers to the above questions will determine if just using a liquid fert will be enough for your tank.

What type lighting do you have and how many plants? Also what type plants? You want to use the Excel daily but depending on the answers to the above questions will determine if just using a liquid fert will be enough for your tank.

I have a double T5 for lighting. The plants are:
Sword, chain sword, water sprite, and another one that I can't remember, but I have two and the are background plants with small round leaves on tall stems. My LFS has been helping me pick them out. I haven't done any ferts yet.

I just realized that I have another foreground broad leaf as well, but again, can't remember the name. I had kept all of the information tabs and accidentally threw them away.

For swords and crypts you should get and use some Root tabs as these plants are heavy root feeders. Then for the other plants getting some Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone and using weekly as directed would help your plants alot.

Dosing Flourish Excel

Hiya,
I have a newly planted/cycled 36 gal tank. I bought the Eco-substrate and some Excel Flourish. Could you please advise as to if and when I should give the first dose of Excel? Thanks. Denise

Hello Dream...

This form of carbon has a bit of "Gluteraldehyde", that's been known in some instances to damage primitive plants like mosses, kinds of Vallisneria and ferns.

There are a number of good liquids on the market that don't contain "Glut". Just an FYI.

B

Hello Dream...

This form of carbon has a bit of "Gluteraldehyde", that's been known in some instances to damage primitive plants like mosses, kinds of Vallisneria and ferns.

There are a number of good liquids on the market that don't contain "Glut". Just an FYI.

B

Thanks for the information; I'm definitely on the learning curve here. I've moved a couple of the Chain Swords around and I was worried about their delicate root system. I hope that I'm planting them correctly and haven't damaged them. Should I prune off any leaves if they turn brown?

Trimming Aquatic Plants

Thanks for the information; I'm definitely on the learning curve here. I've moved a couple of the Chain Swords around and I was worried about their delicate root system. I hope that I'm planting them correctly and haven't damaged them. Should I prune off any leaves if they turn brown?

Hello again Dream...

Yes. I trim damaged or decaying leaves. By doing this, you stimulate new growth and the plant puts it's energy into new growth and not into maintaining an old leaf. The trimming keeps the plant healthy. I trim as far down the stem as I can.

B

Thanks. I know that it may seem like common sense, but I don't have any house plants so I'm not a plant person. I'm enjoying learning my new hobby. I had a 5 gal Chi for 2 years and loved it so upgraded to the 36 gal planted bow front. Ask me about horses and team roping and I can answer your questions...aquariums? I need the help. Thank you again. Have a nice weekend.
Denise

Back
Top Bottom