Experience needed.... tell me what you think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blcmounthood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, ready to try planted tanks. I started out keeping gf and community tanks. Progressed to several tanks with only "show" type gf, a pretty nice small pond, and 1 (failed attempt at a) reef tank. I'm captivated by the images of planted tanks I've seen the past couple of years so I'm ready to give it a shot.

Equipment: 46 gal, Fluval 404, Coralife 96watt flourescent strip (much brighter than anything I'm used to, a kick-off of the reef fiasco), and the normal 24"light strip that came with the tank combo.

I want to buy this co2 injection system: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 004+112954

Too much? Sounds pretty fool proof to me. I thought about spending the money on a couple of metal halide fixtures but I think I might have enough light.

What kind of substrate? What kind of fish, discus? Fertilizer, supplements, temp? I appreciate any advice.

what is the rest of that URL? i think i know which kit you're talking about, but i'd like to make sure. filtration and lighting look good, just stay away from the actinic lights b/c they do nothing for plants and everything for algae.

my recommendation on substrate is eco-complete. pricey, but your plants will love it. you'll have to make some decisions as to what plants you want to keep and how heavily the tank will be planted.

read this: http://www.rexgrigg.com/aa.htm almost any info people can give you here is already on this great resource page. i haven't heard from rex in quite a while on any of the boards he's on, so who knows what happened to him. regardless, it is absolutely necessary that you read that article.

I would recommend Eco-Complete substrate also. I've tried flourite, but it is messy and very dense. Eco-Complete is light and easy to dig in and move around. There is no mud or silt with it either, unlike flourite which needs to be rinsed very well before use. Shop around for CO2 system, I think you can get a better price. I got mine from AquariumPlant.com

As for the type of fish...totally up to you. Try and choose something that will do good in the parameters you will be able to offer. ie) Discus like a lower PH of 6.4ish to 6.8. What is the PH out of the tap? Do you plan on using driftwood?(lowers PH). Also, what type of fish do you like? HTH

Welcome to AA......... :Fade-color :Fade-color :Fade-color :Fade-color :Fade-color

Thanks guys. I have been shopping around. My pH out of the tap is around 6.0. I want to use driftwood. As for my favorite type of fish... Goldfish!!! Sadly, I don't think they would do well in a planted tank. How do I post pics of my fish here?

I would'nt recommend Goldfish in a planted tank. Way to messy. If you want a planted tank. Tropical fish that like your water para's is a much safer set up.

I wish I had your soft tap water. Do some research on various Ram Cichlids. They stay rateher small for Cichlids and you have great tap water for them. Do some research.

Don't waste your money on Metal Hal. The lighting you have will be adequate. I'm not sure how many watts the small floresent puts out, but your over the 2 WPG mininum rule for a planted tank. Again, do some research on plants that like 2-2.5'ish WPG.

The more research you do on a planted tank, the more successful it will be. IMO a FW planted tank is just one step below a SW tank in terms of time, maint., set up cost, complicatedness etc.... Do lotsa research.

I would'nt recommend Goldfish in a planted tank. Way to messy. If you want a planted tank. Tropical fish that like your water para's is a much safer set up.

I wish I had your soft tap water. Do some research on various Ram Cichlids. They stay rateher small for Cichlids and you have great tap water for them. Do some research.

Don't waste your money on Metal Hal. The lighting you have will be adequate. I'm not sure how many watts the small floresent puts out, but your over the 2 WPG mininum rule for a planted tank. Again, do some research on plants that like 2-2.5'ish WPG.

The more research you do on a planted tank, the more successful it will be. IMO a FW planted tank is just one step below a SW tank in terms of time, maint., set up cost, complicatedness etc.... Do lotsa research.

:oops: Sorry everyone.

My puter started acting up when I tried to post. I thought the post did'nt make it at all. Turns out, it posted three times :roll:

IMHO, the best bang for your CO2 buck is for a Milwaukee all in one regulator from http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html

Or an even better deal with the Milwaukee pH controler thrown in (it couples with the Milwaukee regulator/solenoid) http://www.aquatic-store.com/ for about $160. Just add a ten lb. tank of CO2 from a local welding supply shop for about $80.00 more and your good to go. I have dealt with both of these reputable companies. I own this regulator without the controler and it is a good unit which Rex first recommended to me. Where are ya Rex? I second the motion to read and study his faq. It will save ya lots of headaches and is well worth the time... HTH. Bob

I just started a 20L about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I used eco-complete. I ordered it from I think the Aquatic Store, and two bags cost $48.00, shipped. That was cheaper than my lfs, they wanted $36.00a bag. So far so good, I would suggest it over flourite.

i have no idea where rex is. i haven't seen him post for a month or two on the other forums that he frequents....

i'll second the milwaukee all in one. that's what i bought. of course i have finished building everything yet, but it's getting there.... if you can get the controller for cheap, even better.

Back
Top Bottom