Experience With Carbon in Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a quick question. I have gotten some feedback that carbon may not be good for a planted tank. I have been using carbon, just because that's part of the media setup that came with the filter. So I have a tray with carbon packets, a tray with the porcelain ( I think) rings and a tray with the bio-balls.

Should I lose the carbon? If so, what would you replace it with? Should I remove the 3 packs slowly overtime to prevent "shocking" plants/fish?

As for now, the plants are doing well, (finally). Just wondered if this would help even more.

Odds are that the carbon that came with your filter was exhausted after 2 weeks. The ability of the carbon to absorb any more dissolved solids has been maxed out and it isn't doing anything aside from acting as a medium for bacteria to grow on (this is a good thing). but you have bio-rings, as well as a sponge or floss, so the surface area of the carbon isn't needed for your biofilter. You can take it all out at once and trash it or you can leave it in.

Depending on the quality of the carbon, some carbons have a high phosphate content and may leach phosphates into your tank - also not a terribly thing for a planted tank.

I wouldn't spend any money on replacing the carbon every few weeks.

Using Chemical Media

Just a quick question. I have gotten some feedback that carbon may not be good for a planted tank. I have been using carbon, just because that's part of the media setup that came with the filter. So I have a tray with carbon packets, a tray with the porcelain ( I think) rings and a tray with the bio-balls.

Should I lose the carbon? If so, what would you replace it with? Should I remove the 3 packs slowly overtime to prevent "shocking" plants/fish?

As for now, the plants are doing well, (finally). Just wondered if this would help even more.

Hello Cat...

You can remove the chemical media. I don't use it, because I remove and replace half the water in my tanks every week. Large, weekly water changes are far better for the health of the tank and clarity of the water than using carbon.

B

Hello Cat...

You can remove the chemical media. I don't use it, because I remove and replace half the water in my tanks every week. Large, weekly water changes are far better for the health of the tank and clarity of the water than using carbon.

B

Really huh I never woulda guessed thank yall. what about chemipure elite in planted tanks?

i dont bother with carbon and never have, unless im trying to remove medications. You can take the carbon out right away if you want too, it will not shock the fish or the plants. Instead of using carbon i stuff 100% poly-fil quilt batting in my filters in place of the carbon. The poly-fil acts as a water polisher and removes all of the tiny particles that go right through the filter sponges. This poly fil can be bought for very cheap at wal-mart just make sure it has no additives. If you use poly-fil it will need to be replaced every water change, however with the normal size bag from wal-mart ($7) it will last you a few months.

Chempure Elite has a phosphate remover in it which you don't want in a planted tank since phosphate is a macro nutrient.

And if you're using fertilizer the carbon will remove them before your plants ever use them.

Back
Top Bottom