Extreme pearling and bubbles formation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two questions please:

1) My HC Cuba is pearling too much. I don't say its a bad thing to look but just curious if too much pearling is ok. I am new to pressurized co2 and dwarf baby tears plant or hc. There is no over dosage of co2. Fish are fine and swimming normally. I don't know what light i have but its extremely bright led and I am running pressurised CO2. Tank is 15 gallon with hc and very little monte carlo on dragon rocks.

2) I see some bubbles formation on carpet. Is this ok?

https://youtu.be/HLYcmKLe358

Please have a look at this above video and advise. Kindly select 1080p video quality. Thanks.

That is beautiful! Photosynthesis is occurring, plant is happy, nice job!

Off-topic but I wanted to say you have a beautiful angelfish in the background there.

That is beautiful! Photosynthesis is occurring, plant is happy, nice job!
Thanks.
Off-topic but I wanted to say you have a beautiful angelfish in the background there.
Thanks. Its a platinum angel. My most favourite one.
Pearling is fine. It’s a healthy sign. Here is a short video of my 20 long when I had HC Cuba in it (from Feb 2017).
http://youtu.be/HVDuB5sgzDo
Wow that's a breathtakingly beautiful setup you got there. Awesome. Mine pearl exactly the same. Also exactly same bubbles on carpet which stays there. I understand pearling is that plants are breathing and releasing oxygen but what about these bubbles which formed on carpet and stays there?

The bubbles in the carpet will eventually disappear as the oxygen is reabsorbed as the oxygen levels drop off.
Note: Be prepared to keep the carpet trimmed (I did it every 1-2 weeks). Else, the carpet will get too thick resulting in yellow growth and potentially die off. This may also lead to the carpet detaching from the roots. The trimming is quite messy; thankfully the leaves float and can be scooped up with a net.

Last edited:
The bubbles in the carpet will eventually disappear as the oxygen is reabsorbed as the oxygen levels drop off.
Note: Be prepared to keep the carpet trimmed (I did it every 1-2 weeks). Else, the carpet will get too thick resulting in yellow growth and potentially die off. This may also lead to the carpet detaching from the roots. The trimming is quite messy; thankfully the leaves float and can be scooped up with a net.
Thanks. My temperature is 80f so maybe carpet will grow slow? Was advised by store to trim it after a month. So is it better to trim after like two weeks or a month?

Thanks. My temperature is 80f so maybe carpet will grow slow? Was advised by store to trim it after a month. So is it better to trim after like two weeks or a month?

Grow slow? Why? 80 F is near to upper end of the temperature range for these so I figure they would grow faster if anything.
Intensity of lighting may affect vertical growth in some plants. For example, Staurogyne repens (which became my go-to carpet plant after selling off the HC Cuba) would literally hug the substrate when exposed to stronger lighting. Under lesser light, it would grow more vertical rather than horizontal.
To answer you’ve question of weekly versus monthly trimming, it really depends on the growth and thickness of the carpet. If they recommend a month, then follow that. I’m only speaking from experience on my own tank which differs from yours in substrate, lighting, and fertilizers.

Grow slow? Why? 80 F is near to upper end of the temperature range for these so I figure they would grow faster if anything.
Intensity of lighting may affect vertical growth in some plants. For example, Staurogyne repens (which became my go-to carpet plant after selling off the HC Cuba) would literally hug the substrate when exposed to stronger lighting. Under lesser light, it would grow more vertical rather than horizontal.
To answer you’ve question of weekly versus monthly trimming, it really depends on the growth and thickness of the carpet. If they recommend a month, then follow that. I’m only speaking from experience on my own tank which differs from yours in substrate, lighting, and fertilizers.
Thanks and yes i read the same about hc that with strong lights it doesn't grow upwards too quickly as you ve said. I will keep an eye. By the way how much thickness of carpet is fine. One inch i guess?

1” is probably as tall as I would let it grow. I trimmed the HC Cuba mostly so that the carpet would look “freshly mowed” and even.

Back
Top Bottom