Extremely hardy plants that can thrive in low light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zacks

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a fairly bland looking 55 with mostly rocks and pool filter sand as decor. I'm looking for some green in the tank, if there is a carpet plant that thrives in low light, basic fluorescent lighting, if there isn't a carpet plant what other plants can?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406739575.757137.jpg
Now I'm not looking for this plant to survive for my oscars while life because I am well aware he will destroy it haha. But I'm sure right now my big old gold severum and giant danios would appreciate the live plants, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Java fern and java moss are both very hardy. How low is your light (how many watts?)

Java fern and java moss are both very hardy. How low is your light (how many watts?)

Like extremely low two marineland f15 t8/18" bulbs

I would start with java moss, java ferns and/or moss balls. If they do alright, you could try elodea or pennywort.

Can Anubis grow onto the rocks in the tank?

Anubias and java fern both need to be tied to the rocks, or wedged between them. They will eventually grow attached (this might take a long time). I've even heard of people gluing them to the rocks! If you do that, make sure the glue you use is aquarium safe.

If you bury the roots the plant will die.

Anubias and java fern both need to be tied to the rocks, or wedged between them. They will eventually grow attached (this might take a long time). I've even heard of people gluing them to the rocks! If you do that, make sure the glue you use is aquarium safe.

If you bury the roots the plant will die.

Interesting, do you have experience with Java moss it sounds like a cool carpet plant

Java moss grows very easily in all lighting conditions. It grows attached to surfaces (to get it to attach, tie it on with string or fishing line, or stick a bit of it under the rock to anchor it) but can also float free as a large clump in the water.

You can also get it to grow as a carpet or even a wall. Google 'java moss carpet' for ideas.

It can grow very fast and might need to be pruned regularly. In my tank, the cherry shrimp keep it spotless, but it can trap dirt and become a big mess if its not well maintained.

I've had success growing java fern anubias and even swords in low light. The thing to remember about Anubias and Java fern is that it needs to have the rhizome exposed doesn't matter if The roots are buried or on a rock as long as the rhizome is exposed

I've had crypts do extremely well with root tabs. They melted a little at first but then were fine. And I swear they took off best after adding Malaysian trumpet snails.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've had good luck with Bacopa caroliniana. Makes a good background plans; must dose liquid ferts.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407099945.942420.jpg

Ok so I somewhat took advice on here in saying I need better lighting, which I bought.

So I got the fixture for 15 bucks at lowes it's a t8 48" fixture that holds two bulbs, I got a two pack of daylight 6500k 32 watt bulbs also at lowes for 8 bucks so now I'm up at 64 watts of light, and it only costed me about 25 dollars opposed to buying one from petsmart for 80-130!

Anyways I did but some java fern and tied it to the rocks, and I also should be getting my java moss in the mail on Tuesday

Any other cool plants, that would grow super fast in 64 watts? It's also just pool filter sand as a substrate if that matters

Good news: great savings on lighting, Java Fern and Java Moss are great choices though not fast growing.

Bad news: Severums love plants (eat them, tear them, generally make a mess if them) I recommend artificial substitutes.

I couldn't tell in the first pic. I had one a few years ago.

Both my oscar and severum get veggies in their diet every other day, so for some reason I don't I don't think he'll take interest in them, he's hasn't so far haha

You should definitely be able to grow anubias I have success with the Giant stuff and would recommend tying it to rocks because your substrate is fine

An Amazon sword would do fine if you add a root tab under it once a month.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom