Extremely High Nitrates!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been established now for about 3 years. I do a water changes now and again and have never had real problems with my parameters. However, recently I noticed my fish were dying off here and there, I put it down to age and forgot about it. However, lately both my gourami and BN died, so I replaced them yesterday. Today my new fish are gasping for breath and acting strange. I decided to clean out the tank again, which I did yesterday but pruned a few plants and that's when I noticed my anubias nana, and coffefolia roots were rotten to the core, they must have been like this for months. I took them out cleaned them up and noticed a smell coming off them. I tested my water and that's when it all hit home, my nitrates were 160ppm. That's after a 20% water change yesterday and again today. I've now done a 50% water change and I was wondering how long should I wait before I do it again? It's 15 gallon and it's not overstocked, just moderately planted.

EDIT: After waiting 50 mins I re- tested the water and Nitrates were 40ppm. I decided to do another 20% water change. I've also put my filter media into a better flowing filter, which could be the reason why my plants were so rotten in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom