failing dry start to wet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
failing dry start to wet??????

I started dry starting my 55 a while back. Bad idea, I just dont think its good on a tank this size. Most of the plants started melting, I got algea on the sand from stagnent spots that started and humidity in the tank, and it turned into a mess. I then tried cleaning it up a bit and filling the tank half way. I filled once for a few days then drained the icky water and filled again. The water is cleaner now but the plants still took their damage. I have a filter running, albeit probably a VERY underpowered one (but there are no fish in there, its for circulation more) and a couple bottles of DIY co2 until I figure out a better co2 solution. Im still using some comprehensive and even high dosing some excel to kill the algae and help (hopefully).

The horror now begins with a small pond snail population that started. Okay I can deal with that, in fact great when I move my fish they will be food since i have loaches and puffers and even my others eat them.

BUT YESTERDAY I noticed something more.
Small white worms crawling on the glass and and swimming around. I narrowed them to deitrus worms.
I know not a huge deal but with no fish to nibble on them Im afraid of them getting out of control.

If you guys were me would you nuke the tank and start from scratch? Would you let the worms go and just figure your fish will eat them on the change over pretty rapidly or is there another option I dont see yet?

I also noticed some possible water fleas or baby scuds swimming around which Im fine with.

thanks

The detritus worms should not present a problem. I had them once and they disappeared on their own. If you are planning on getting bottom feeders at some point, they may keep the numbers down as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

cool thanks.

Any ideas on a co2 solution besides 2 2 liter bottles and buying a new system?
Any tips on getting rid of the cyano on the sand aside trying excel?
Last question
What should I do about the melting plants? rip them up and trim, let them melt the bad parts and disintegrate as fert for the new growth or just get rid of them?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20160504_125856.jpg
    IMG_20160504_125856.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20160504_125849.jpg
    IMG_20160504_125849.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom