Fair warning to people who choose aquadurt as a substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Reporting back on a very old thread of mine to report an update on the substrate aquadurt made by aquarium plants.com Yes, I had problems with this substrate leeching all kinds of weirdness but after a year, well, 10 months of water changes this substrate has become controllable. The potassium levels which had been OUT OF THIS WORLD HIGH have over time dropped to around 20 ppm. I have read ALL kinds of bad reviews of aqua durt after I had purchased it so this post is really for the people that hopefully have NOT bought it or have bought it and wonder if it will ever stop doing weird things to your TDS readings, etc, YES, after 10 months of regular water changes it will :) haha… I have been testing potassium levels with a hanna digital meter and these readings are absolutely correct. I have been methodically taking levels for literally close to a year watching the tank stabilize. I know without a doubt and proof of about 60 digital readings over ten months that aqua durt made by aquarium plants.com does in FACT leech potassium and probably a number of other un-monitorable things and thus why it is finally running out of excess potassium to leech after hundreds of water changes. The softness of the water is finally becoming manageable as well. I'm glad I do have the meters so I now can monitor when potassium runs low and I can start dosing it in small amounts again, as there was literally no reason to dose potassium at all for close to a year. I will continue to dose substrate pellets and liquid ferts like the past and start to include potassium in there. I'm just glad after a year of dealing with a very uncontrollable substrate the crap has run it's course and now I can control what is dosed in the tank better. Fair Warning for all people who choose aqua durt from aquarium plants.com… Pay the extra money and get a substrate with a history of being good that doesn't throw your fertilizer readings off, makes dosing controlled amounts near impossible, makes it hard to control algae, etc for a year while you wait for it to stop leeching stuff. Had I been able to take that substrate out easily I would have, should have, and gone with a real brand name that people can rely on. It's a LOT of frustration for the few dollar savings.

Yeah, their glowing reviews on their site seem to be heavily edited if you dig elsewhere on google and see complaints they can't control. It seems they pull whatever they don't like on their site. But yeah, they like to say nothing's wrong with it. ;) I'm just saying as an independent source with testing equipment who's taken the time to document real data, there is. I have no doubt it can make certain plants grow because its apparently jack full of stuff... But the problem is you can't control an environment. You basically cater to the environment the substrate creates for you:(

Back
Top Bottom