Fast growing free floaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added about a handful of duckweed into my 60g and within 4 days the whole surface was covered. Spreads VERY fast. Same with dwarf water lettuce. I have both floating in my tank. They also help to shade the lower light plants and absorb a lot of nutrients out of the water. Frogbit also spreads very rapidly.

I added about a handful of duckweed into my 60g and within 4 days the whole surface was covered. Spreads VERY fast. Same with dwarf water lettuce. I have both floating in my tank. They also help to shade the lower light plants and absorb a lot of nutrients out of the water. Frogbit also spreads very rapidly.

Does enough light get through to be able to see the fish when the whole surface is covered?

Oh yeah I mean it's not like its dark the light gets through I just wouldn't keep it covered like that because it does cut back a lot of your light which I think isn't good because of the plants on the bottom...all I do is I keep it over the lower light plants (you want to try to make an area just for them) and whenever it grows too much just throw some of it out and it will keep growing back.

Duckweed grows so fast that if you don't thin it out periodically it will self mulch. New growth basically pushes old growth under and kills it.

Few other options, red root floater, salvinia, water lettuce, water sprite.

Duckweed grows so fast that if you don't thin it out periodically it will self mulch. New growth basically pushes old growth under and kills it.

Few other options, red root floater, salvinia, water lettuce, water sprite.

True about the whole mulch thing- if it covers your surface then you need to take a bunch out because if you leave it like that as it keeps growing it has no more room to grow so the old leaves just die and sink to the bottom over and over until you have a 'mulch' like jetajockey described

That's the surface of my tank now- if I don't keep pulling it out it would be covered by the end of the week AT LEAST. Notice how it is concentrated in the center above my low light plants.

Love the water lettuce. My fish hang out in the roots and my goose gets the extra once a week in her pool. She likes it too :)

It is a pain yes, once you get it in you can't really get it out! Like java moss. It depends on if you really want it. Its got the positives and negatives of it

Back
Top Bottom