Fast growing Moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does fast growing Moss exist? I'm looking for a ground cover that will grow laterally rapidly. Don't know if this is too much to ask for haha

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fast is kinda a relative term for moss, as under the right conditions (high light, good ferts, lots of CO2) you can get it to grow fast for a moss but compared to fast growing plants like most stems, chain swords, etc it's still going to look slow. I've had luck with most mosses (specifically Christmas, weeping, and others) growing well once they establish to what they're growing on (could take a few weeks for this to happen) but only good conditions like the ones described.

Can you tell us a little more about your tank? Size, height, lighting, ferts, any CO2?

I totally hear you about how slow moss grows but I was under the impression flame moss grows slower than some of its competitors.

I have a 29 gal tall tank. 4 HO t5, I use excel, but no co2. All of the plants grow well. I use root tabs because I have sand.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think flame moss grows just as fast as the other types. Even in low light. A few years ago I once let a small clump (3"x3") grow unchecked in a 20g long and single T-8 and it literally filled up 2/3 of the tank. A saved a small portion of it to grow in a vase near a window. A few weeks later the entire bed of moss in the tank turned brown and died. Never figured out why it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I hate when moss just gives up, but it happens. Don't know why either. I find using either Excel or C02, and ferts, along with adequate lighting, is the only way to get it grow at any sort of speed and it's very much slower than any stem plant.

Back
Top Bottom