Favorite Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any aquatic plants that you put in all of your tanks, or that you recommend to everyone? Why do you like them? I just thought it would be interesting to find out people's favorites, plus it might help me generate new ideas for my tanks. Anything is appreciated!

Some favorites of mine are anacharis (it grows fast), java moss, amazon sword, crypts, blyxa japonica, and anubias. I like my crypts and amazon swords because of how they look. Really east to plant and keep as well. Blyxa looks awesome, fast grower and pretty easy. I like moss because you can manipulate and get it to grow a lot of different ways. Anubias is nice too, looks good and a fast grower. These are just some of my personal favorites. I also recommend these plants to anybody wanting to start a planted tank :)

My favorite plant is Hygrophila Polysperma, because it looks great, grows easily, and is very versatile. It can be used as a foreground replacement for Star. Repens under medium light in medium-large tanks if you have the time to trim it frequently. It also looks great in the background. Under low light it grows very similar to Star. Repens but a bit better. Also, there is a variant that will develop pink veins under low light.

Red Ludwigia (ludwigia repens sp. red I think) was nice when I had it and grew pretty well when harder plants didn't. It did much better than AR for me. That's probably my second favorite.

This was when my 20 gallon was still planted (this is before a trim lol). thats the hygro in the front and the ludwigia red in the back:

Crypt Undulata is in the center of that picture (although you can only barely see it), grew very well for me and had a nice brown color.

This is another shot of the hygro. This was under a finnex fugeray planted+ at 16". It carpets and grows runners very easily at that light.

My favorite are jungle val and dwarf sag, I have at least one of them in all my tanks currently. I've just always found them easy to grow in almost any conditions.

10g Endlers is all vals and sag:

img_3284532_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

Otos appreciate the sag in the jungle tank:

img_3284532_1_4a77e3ea6aba7ef917f9b1f6dddd9d20.jpg

My favorite are jungle val and dwarf sag, I have at least one of them in all my tanks currently. I've just always found them easy to grow in almost any conditions.

10g Endlers is all vals and sag:

img_3284569_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

Otos appreciate the sag in the jungle tank:

img_3284569_1_4a77e3ea6aba7ef917f9b1f6dddd9d20.jpg

Sorry about the potential hijack, but Theresa, do you notice that your Vals melt when dosing excel? (If you do dose it). Also how tall do yours actually grow, because some places I've seen say that they will only grow as tall as the tank or that you can just cut the leaves to as tall as you want them to be.

Also how tall do yours actually grow, because some places I've seen say that they will only grow as tall as the tank or that you can just cut the leaves to as tall as you want them to be.

Most of the vals in my 46 gallon stay about 10 - 14 inches tall, but for some reason there is one single leaf on one of them that keeps growing to over 2 feet. I have no idea why it does that!

Sorry about the potential hijack, but Theresa, do you notice that your Vals melt when dosing excel? (If you do dose it). Also how tall do yours actually grow, because some places I've seen say that they will only grow as tall as the tank or that you can just cut the leaves to as tall as you want them to be.

I do dose Excel but never noticed melt because of it. I've definitely had to do trims on it, more frequently when I actually remember to do ferts reguarly :hide:

Mine is probably the Cryptocoryne Balansae/Crispatula

It's like my own forest lol. It takes up around 1/3 of my 75g. It's barely been trimmed in the 9 months I've had it. No lie the main base is as wide as a golfball :D

http://i.imgur.com/83TaBP3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AeK0WOJ.jpg

Caleb
Get me some of that !!! Awesome example Caleb. I hope my plants do as well, but my Marble Queen Amazon sword is making now producing plants , not sure how to separate them. It sends a shoot about the height of my tank, and the top of the shoot has a new plant . do they separate on their own or should I pinch it off ? Let me know if you can.

Thanks .
Clem.

Mine is probably the Cryptocoryne Balansae/Crispatula

It's like my own forest lol. It takes up around 1/3 of my 75g. It's barely been trimmed in the 9 months I've had it. No lie the main base is as wide as a golfball :D

Really like the looks of that! What kind of lighting do you have it under?

Get me some of that !!! Awesome example Caleb. I hope my plants do as well, but my Marble Queen Amazon sword is making now producing plants , not sure how to separate them. It sends a shoot about the height of my tank, and the top of the shoot has a new plant . do they separate on their own or should I pinch it off ? Let me know if you can.

Thanks .
Clem.

Not sure bud. Usually you can just cut off the runners once they establish some roots.

Really like the looks of that! What kind of lighting do you have it under?

It's under a Finnex Planted+

It gets Mebbids DIY tabs every 2 months.

Caleb

I've actually been quite scared to propagate it. I've got plenty of runners and could give you a few. Maybe tomorrow I'll finally go through with it.

Caleb

E
I've actually been quite scared to propagate it. I've got plenty of runners and could give you a few. Maybe tomorrow I'll finally go through with it.

Caleb
The cryptocoryne , for real dude, you talkin to me , or someone else?just wanted to be sure.[emoji15]

Clem.

E
The cryptocoryne , for real dude, you talkin to me , or someone else?just wanted to be sure.[emoji15]

Clem.

*tough guy voice* yeah I'm talkin to you! Haha :D

It really does need some removed so I have more space. You will be first on the list!

Caleb

*tough guy voice* yeah I'm talkin to you! Haha :D

It really does need some removed so I have more space. You will be first on the list!

Caleb
My good blessings to you sir, I'm very much honored here : " to the cool guy" Caleb! [emoji41]

A little Robert De niro for ya !!! [emoji622]

Thanks a lot man.

Clem.

Back
Top Bottom