Favorite Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a new 40B that I have wanted for a long time.
I have a 90g and a 20 long both with eco-complete but I'm looking to see what everyone thinks would be the best substrate for my new planted tank.
I will be running pressurized co2 and using dry ferts PPS from GLA.
For lights I'm thinking (2) 36" Finnex planted+ 24/7.
This will take a little time as I pick up one thing at a time slowly but I would like talks input on the substrate and maybe even lights if ya like something better and is still economical.

First off.. what up dale!?! Where you been? I'm a big fan of brightwell extra fine capped with fluorite black sand. It's not the cheapest but it produces. You want light or dark?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I prefer the dark substrate. I think it combined with the black back I put on makes plants pop more.
Oh, and "Whaaats Uuuupp Brooks Bro"

If I were to try a new substrate it would also be Brightwell FlorinVolcanit, either fine or extra fine.
I've gotten a lot of miles out of the EC.

I like pool filter sand, but it has no nutrients....needs root tabs

I'm considering getting something to mix in, maybe a marine land sand with nutrients ready to go

Sounds like the brightwell might be my next adventure.
How many bags for a 40B?
I'm guessing 3 or 4?

Sounds like the brightwell might be my next adventure.
How many bags for a 40B?
I'm guessing 3 or 4?

Depending how deep you'd like to make it. According to Drs Foster and Smith, the formula (in inches) is: (Aquarium Length x Width x Desired Substrate Depth) / 60 = How many liters you'll need. The liters to pounds conversion is 5 pounds = 2.5 liters.

In my 20 long, I only wound up using one 15 pound bag.

The Brightwell is going over like gang busters for many.
I'll just mention ADA $$ and say I think the fluval shrimp stratum would be an interesting sub to try out planted.

Brooks, flourite on bottom I think ? the song dust in the wind keeps repeating in my head?
I am pretty sure last several Brightwell set ups got their stuff DRFS but stock was low?.
They matched bulk weight prices with 5lb bags many said...

Mr. Dale....:cool:

The Brightwell is going over like gang busters for many.
I'll just mention ADA $$ and say I think the fluval shrimp stratum would be an interesting sub to try out planted.

Brooks, flourite on bottom I think ? the song dust in the wind keeps repeating in my head?
I am pretty sure last several Brightwell set ups got their stuff DRFS but stock was low?.
They matched bulk weight prices with 5lb bags many said...

Mr. Dale....:cool:

The fluorite powder stuff on bottom, there is a course black sand too, petco black sand the powder stuff on top is a nightmare waiting to happen.

If you have elevated areas, you may want to consider placing lava rock in media bags (or hosiery if you happen to have them at laying around, I don't BTW) and using that as a base. No need to use the good stuff in those areas.

If you have elevated areas, you may want to consider placing lava rock in media bags (or hosiery if you happen to have them at laying around, I don't BTW) and using that as a base. No need to use the good stuff in those areas.

Awesome! That's great advice!
Thanks Fresh!

The fluorite powder stuff on bottom, there is a course black sand too, petco black sand the powder stuff on top is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Thanks Brooks and Bandit!
Gonna be slow as I get parts here and there but I'm taking my time and I'll ask for input from start to finish from y'all and will hopefully end up with an amazing tank.
Now I gotta get Ma to give a little money here and there too....lol

3/4"-1" should suffice.

Back
Top Bottom