Fe quandary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
First, here is a reading of what I keep my tank at:

NO3: 10ppm
K: dose 20ppm every week (plus what goes in with the NO3)
PO4: 1ppm
CSM+B (Fe): dose .15ppm a week
pH: 7.0
KH: 5
CO2: ~15ppm

The problem is, of course, algea. Fuzz/Thread algea seems to be the biggest issue (which, according to what I read, is an excess of Iron). However, my Dwarf Sag leaves are very yellow and that would suggest a Fe deficiency.

I'm not quite sure what to do as one problem points to too much Fe and another points to not enough.

I also should note, Every other plant in the tank (new growth atleast) is doing great. Includes:

Corkscrew Val
Anacharis (holy crap can it grow)
Stargrass
Egeria najas
Pearlweed
Java Moss (however it has tons of the fuzz and hair algea on it)

Last, I do have a few (got 10 but I have only seen 3 as of late, more than likely turned into snacks for my tetra's) Red Cherry Shrimp and about 20 MTS. As well as a young SAE I recently picked up.

Anywho, let me know your suggestions.

If the dwarf sag is indicating low iron, then you may need more. I think the dwarf sag, if I remember hearing someone else saying, is a good early warning plant. As for algae, I do not believe excess iron is the problem for algae. What causes algae in the first place is a deficiency. If you have something that's deficient, it will slow down or stop the uptake of other nutrients, thus giving the algae a foot-hold. If the dwarf sag is telling you iron, or magnesium, then I'd up the traces to .2ppm iron.

I'd also up your CO2. It may be that your plants are indicating other deficiencies because they can't make sufficient use of the needed nutrients because the CO2 is low. Try getting up to 30ppm.

I agree that iron is not the cause. Your CO2 is likely a main cause as I have had the same problems when i forget to change out my bottle for my DIY. Also, I dose iron at .2ppm now and my tanks have shown signs of fighting the algae. When I clean the BBA, brush algae, off my one tank it doesn't come back as fast and it is almost gone. Concentrate more on NO3, PO4 and CO2 and you will eventually find the right balance to keep your algae at bay.

So how do you recommend increasing CO2?

I have a DIY reactor that is absorbing all of the CO2 put into it by my 2 liter bottle mix. My CO2 mix is:

2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp yeast
1T molasses
2 tsp dried milk
2 liters of water

It goes into a 20 gallon tank. the surface of the tank ripples a little but there is no splashing.

What was your pH before you started injecting CO2? Mine is normaly 7.0 but with my CO2 it drops to between 6.6 and 6.8. I have 2, 2 liter bottles that I just add 2.5 cups of sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast and they last for 2 weeks. I change out one each week and my levels stay around 45ppm.

My tap water has a pH of 7.6 and a KH of 2. The last time I tested my tank without CO2 I believe the KH was 4 and the pH was 8.0.

That was very early in the tanks life though so it could have been affected by many things. I had the Red Sea CO2 system hooked up to it for about a month and got similar CO2 levels. this last week I added the 2 Liter bottle and haven't noticed an increase so I may just go with your suggestion and hook up two 2 liter bottles.

Thanks!

Hum, so I added some extra Fe yesterday and I had a big growth of thread algea today.

I went ahead and did a water change and cleaned out some of the old growth and what not. But the biggest problem remains my java moss. It is covered in the algea and I have no idea how to get it off of it. My SAE doesn't seem interested in the slightest in it and I think all my Cherry shrimp were eating by my GBR =0( (expensive snacks!)

EDIT: did some more research and I'm pretty sure I have too much Fe. I'm going to try and up the Nitrates a little as others have mentioned it has helped.

I need a good Iron test kit so I can find out for sure, anyone know of any?

There is no good hobby/affordable Iron test kit. The Pearlweed and Stargrass should be real good indicators, too.

Are the yellow leaves of Dwarf Sag on new or old growth?

Running relatively low PO4 and NO3 with so many fast growers and algae suggest you should look more closely at macros. When you meet the trace deficiency the plants get going, lower available macros, stall, then algae capitalizes. I suspect the reason so many attribute algae to Iron is liberal dosing of traces without command of macros. You should always look at CO2 and macros first when troubleshooting, then micros/traces.

Easiest way to clean the moss may be pulling out the algae covered chunks and repropogating. Ripping out the top growth will give you nicer, denser moss in the end anyway.

HTH, Good luck.

the stargrass is doing fantastic. I was out on vacation when the package shipped so it sat in a package for about 7 days and had me worried, but it is coming back really strong.

I also just thinned out the pearlweed to clear up the algea in it and all the new growth on it is doing great.

All of my dwarf sag looks about the same, including new runners that have shown up. There is very little thread algea on the leaves, but they are all tinted yellow. Some looks like they might have diatom growth on them which add to the tint.

I went ahead and did a 50% water change and then put the macros to the following levels:

NO3: 15 ppm
PO4: 1.3-1.5 ppm
K: did a big dose, 11 ppm (8 ppm of potassium sulfate and 3 ppm from potassium nitrate)

I'll see how the plants respond during this week. Hopefully this will cut down on some of the algae growth, but I'll be adding another CO2 bottle tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom