Feedback on new planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421642429.728331.jpg

Hi everyone,

This is my first planted tank. I've had this tank for a while but only with plastic plants until I decided to make it fully planted. It's a 55g, low light, no CO2 tank. From left to to right, the tank has: red wendtii, anubias nana, amazon sword, another sword, anubias and a wendtii.

Do you have any idea what would make a good background tank to fill up some space? I kind of like the look of rotala but don't know how well it would do with my low light setup.

Also the tiny amazon sword in the middle right seems to have wavy leaves. I tried to rescue this plant from one of those test tubes that they sell at petsmart but I'm not so sure if it'll survive. Any tips to save it?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421642429.728331.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421642852.988014.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice setup. I like how u have a random patch of sand in the middle. I have a tank with gravel on the laft and sand on the right. I started my first planted tank in october and i already have multiple tank syndrome. I caught the bug alright. Are you using any co2 booster, ferts, root tabs and what kind of lighting do u have?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Swords need Root tabs. Every 1-3 months bury one next to the Sword. Crypts love then too. DIY root tabs are cheap.

I had several Crypts in my 10g.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421658227.166372.jpg

Most of the Amazon sword leaves will probably die. This is because the submerged and emersed (grown in air) leaves are different. You should see new growth. As was stated, get some root tabs for the sword and crypt. You'll get healthy growth.

I almost killed a few swords, but they are an extremely hardy plant. Two of my plants had no leaves six months ago and are over 12 inches tall today.

No ferts in the water column, no liquid CO2, but I have put root tabs near the swords and the crypts. Do you think rotala will survive? I'm using a Current Satellite LED Plus 6500k light, the website says it will get around 20-30 PAR in my tank

The rotala will not thrive in a low light, no co2, no fert tank.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My rotala grows fine in my 10g, with two cheap compact fluorescent walmart lights.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I didn't say it won't grow, it will. It just will take a long time to develop though. I had mine grow with cfls on a 29 with great success, but I was also running co2 and ferts

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If youd like an easy background plant try anarchis or water wisteria. They grow like weeds. Fairly tall too. I had really good luck with the wisteria even in low light and no ferts but i did use liquid carbon, nitrogen and laterite as a substrate. U should be ok with root tabs though. You said you wanted to fill in some space and that will do it. If you dont trim the runners in the water collumn it will branch out and send more roots down. Its sort of a messy natural look that i like.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont use co2 or ferts. I do have plant gravel tho. My rotala is at the top of the tank.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had very good luck with moneywort in my 16b, I could trim every other day. I just started using root tabs and use Flourish once a week.

Back
Top Bottom