Ferns are dying (I think!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

britinlincoln

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK; 35 gallon tank with 6 small African cichlids and a plec. PH is neutral; Nitrite non-existent and nitrate apparently well within acceptable parameters. I decided to forgo plastic plants (after 30 years)and go for the real thing. After research I decided on Java Ferns:
a) I am in a VERY hard water area;
b) They don't get planted but "attached" to an object or anchored on the substrate;
c) they don't require expensive CO2 systems.

Or so I am told!

So, why are they turning black ? I was told I'd get some black spots on the underside of the leaves, but ALL of the Javas are turning black!!

Bolbitis likes soft acidic water if I'm not mistaken. The change in your java fern might be from acclimation. Every time I put java fern from one tank to another I get die off but the leaves always come back new and good looking. Pics might help.

Atxpunx said:
Bolbitis likes soft acidic water if I'm not mistaken. The change in your java fern might be from acclimation. Every time I put java fern from one tank to another I get die off but the leaves always come back new and good looking. Pics might help.

You are probably right. My PH is neutral. About 7.6 out of the tap. But my Bolbitis like it fine.
I haven't tried them in truly hard alkaline water.
And +1 on the plants adjusting. Mine tend to go into a bit of shock before they start growing.

Back
Top Bottom