fertalizer tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asberry2

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best or preferred kind of root fertalizer tabs?...I got a few new plants and I was going to start using some along with the liquid flourish dose every week.

I use flourish because I'm too lazy to make my own *lol*

I just bought RootMedic tabs online. They were $18 for 25. Kind of pricey but they last like 6 months I think. Put them under my swords and they are looking great.

Super easy! Get osmocote (the right kind!), freeze small amount in ice cube and shove in substrate. Done!

Hehe. :D How long does it last? I know I read this at some point, but like I said...lazy. :lol:

daneek155 said:
Smart-Release 3 lb. Outdoor and Indoor Plant Food-2720301 at The Home Depot
Does that work and is that only way to put them as ice cube??? and how often in the substrate would it melt instantly or does it stay in the substrate and release slowly?

I'll leave that to someone in your country (America???). I use the Australian native mix. I know that one is safe.
Some wrap clay around them or use pill casings full of fertilizer. The ice cube melts fast but the ferts stay under the substrate and release over a couple of months. you have to make sure they are under the substrate. They can create excess ammonia if they sit on top.

Last edited:
so you just freeze them in little ice cube than put under a plant????would this be ok in a tank with flora max

No, it's just a slow release fertilizer. Osmocote+ and root medic are coincidentally? extremely similar, so I'm just one for buying a $10 bottle of osmocote+ that'll last for the next 5 years or so, plus I use it with some of my house plants.

Overall though, I don't really like the slow release ferts, it just seems like the old fashioned clay based tablets pack more of a punch. But as far as simplicity goes, cant beat it.

thanks now need to find out if those from home depot are ok for aquarium

Hey jetta so it's any osmocote you can find in America? We have some that are better then others. Like native because its lower in phosphates. Also some have wetting agents (blue graduals) in them.

Yeah there's a few different ones, I've used the regular pink bottle and everyone recommends osmocote+ (as far as I know, there's only 1 kind of osmocote+, at least commonly available), as far as phosphates go, these things are a very slow release fert that is not sitting in the water column so I don't really consider it an issue.

jetajockey said:
Yeah there's a few different ones, I've used the regular pink bottle and everyone recommends osmocote+ (as far as I know, there's only 1 kind of osmocote+, at least commonly available), as far as phosphates go, these things are a very slow release fert that is not sitting in the water column so I don't really consider it an issue.

Ok thanks. Thought I'd better find out because I recommend them frequently.

hey jetta how do you dose your osmocote?
I also found that my local med store sells 00 caps.... after like 3 months do you have to take the caps out and refill them or do they eventually dissolve???

Back
Top Bottom