Fertalizin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just planted a number of faster growing plants, doubled my light, and have my drop checker at almost the right green color (boy are those things hard to judge).

I'd like to start fertalizing and figured the EI method would be best. Since I've only just planted the fast growing plants and they havent established root systems yet, when should I start dosing my dry ferts? Also, do I just sprinkle the measured powders into the tank or should I mix it with tank water first into a solution?

The fast growing stem plants can take in ferts from the leaves, so no need to wait for roots.

I put my ferts in the sump so it is mixed before getting into the tank. If I just dump the powders in , my goldies will try to eat it, prob not a good thing!

I just dump my dry ferts in the main tank (no sump for me either). :) So far, so good. My fish kinda dart at it and I can't say that they don't eat some. But it hasn't hurt any of them.

I know this answer would be different for everyone depending on lights and plants, but with fertilizing and co2, what should one's nitrates typically be at? I'm on day two of the EI method and Nitrates have gone from 5 (my usual) to 10. When the plants hit their stride should nitrates be lower, or will the extra ferts keep them higher?

Greg Watson's EI targets have nitrates at 10-30 ppm. So you are actually on the low side for EI. However, I think that is just fine, as I keep mine around 10 as well. <Although I am not doing EI, and I don't have high light or CO2.> You just have to keep an eye out & make sure it doesn't bottom out as the plants grow. <A pure EI approach would have you overdosing the ferts & never bother measuring.>

Hmm. I'm doing the recommended doses for tanks 40-60 gallons. Maybe right before the 50% wc it will be higher.

Yep, FYI, I dose'd the macro's last night and afterwards the Nitrates were around 40! I waited about an hour, tested again and the Nitrates were around 30. I'm having a lot of fun watching the affect this is having on the water colum.
No pearling yet, but the plants all seem healthy enough and the hair algae had definately dropped way back. I'm getting a brown film algae that is covering the rocks, and a green film algae that is covering the driftwood, but it looks kinda pretty right now so I'm leaving it.

Back
Top Bottom