Fertilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Straick85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been testing nh3, no2, no3, and po4 daily and slowly uping fertilizer amounts. I'm at 3 ml of the aquavitro activate (a phosphorus and potassium supplement), and even after 24 hours, the phosphate tests out at 0. I've done the phosphate test several times (api reagent kit) just to be sure that I'm getting an acurate result.
I'm not dosing nitrogen at this point as the tank is going through a small cycle(any time nh3 or no2 go above .5 ppm, I do a 25% pwc). The other dosing is 5 ml of flourish and 2 ml of flourish trace a day, as well as 3 ml of flourish iron 12 hours out from the rest (I had read about the iron reacting with one of the other supplements somewhere).
The tank is a 55 gallon with 2 f32t8 lamps (ultra sun super daylight) being overdriben 4x, a fluval 106 filter with a sera 500 co2 reactor (drop checker is a nice lime green the whole ligjting period), and a spraybar for return. Lighting is approximately 12 hours a day, in 2 periods of 6 hors each and a 6 hour break during the middle of the day. The stocking is a betta (he goes by the name of Flare), 6 neon tetras, 8 zebra danios, and an otto cat (hence the daily nh3 and no2 testing). I'm planning on getting some more otto cats, 4 or 5 amano shrimp, and possibly some hatchet fish after the cycle is over.
Is this type of nutrient uptake normal? I'm nervous to up the ferts any higher for the little guys sake.

Here's 2 pictures of the aquarium. The first is from the 4th of July weekend, and the other is from tonight. The algae on the anubias nana is from a co2 crash (those 88 gram fluval co2 cartridges don't last very long and now I'm feeding from a paintball cylinder).

Attachments

• 1469501134706.jpg
    1469501134706.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 1469501169315.jpg
    1469501169315.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 91
In my tank I get a phosphate reading of mainly between 1 to 4ppm, mostly on the upper side since I dose ferts. I'm not sure what it would go without ferts, maybe when heavily planted it could get to 0.

It looked fairly concentrated in the bottle. Could you try overdosing a 5gal bucket to see if you get a reading?

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/activate.html

It is concentrated, which is why I'm confused over this. I'll try doing one drop in the test vial tonight, with the rest being water. I thought of the expiration date, so checked all my test kits this morning, and they are all good with anywherw from 1 to 3 years until they "expire". If the kit responds to that, then I'll have to figure out what a daily dose in a gallon of water should work out to, and test that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is concentrated, which is why I'm confused over this. I'll try doing one drop in the test vial tonight, with the rest being water. I thought of the expiration date, so checked all my test kits this morning, and they are all good with anywherw from 1 to 3 years until they "expire". If the kit responds to that, then I'll have to figure out what a daily dose in a gallon of water should work out to, and test that.

You could use Estimative index dosing. Then you don't have to worry about concentrations, deficiencies or using test kits.

I've been a bit stingy with phosphate lately. I'm probably now in the realms of where Delapool is at. I know this because that is what I am dosing and not because of what I am testing. I am a bit sceptical of any hobby grade titration testing method and so I don't use them very often.

Having said all that. If I were to believe what the test kits are telling me, I have seen both nitrate and phosphate read 0ppm in a planted tank with no additional ferts added.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I tested it out, and the kit is good. I took a closer look at the anachris naja, and I think it might be the culprit. It's growing like mad, and you can see some signs of nutrient deficiency in the older areas (they had turned yellow). The new growth is amazing. Guess I'm going to have to do two doses of phosphate a day, one morning and one might to keep up, as well as look into getting dry ferts.

I tested it out, and the kit is good. I took a closer look at the anachris naja, and I think it might be the culprit. It's growing like mad, and you can see some signs of nutrient deficiency in the older areas (they had turned yellow). The new growth is amazing. Guess I'm going to have to do two doses of phosphate a day, one morning and one might to keep up, as well as look into getting dry ferts.

Did you get the dry ferts?

No dry ferts yet. I did have to trim the anacharis pretty heavily though. I am thinking of what to replace it with as it keeps overgrowing the anubias and tropica sword.

No dry ferts yet. I did have to trim the anacharis pretty heavily though. I am thinking of what to replace it with as it keeps overgrowing the anubias and tropica sword.

Do you want another stem? What about a bulb plant. Aponageton species?

Not sure yet. I'm still at the point of looking at other plants to pick out what to replace it with.

Back
Top Bottom