fertilize or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am only planting various species of anubias, java ferns and java moss in low lighting (1 T8 bulb, 16 inch height, 29 gallon). I know that I don't need any root tabs with these plants. But what about liquid fertilizer?

I have read that it is not necessary with the plants I have, but I would still like to regularly fertilize if this would be beneficial to these particular species.

So, is fertilization a good idea for my tank or could it cause more harm than good? If fertilizing, what product is recommended? Thanks

I am only planting various species of anubias, java ferns and java moss in low lighting (1 T8 bulb, 16 inch height, 29 gallon). I know that I don't need any root tabs with these plants. But what about liquid fertilizer?

I have read that it is not necessary with the plants I have, but I would still like to regularly fertilize if this would be beneficial to these particular species.

So, is fertilization a good idea for my tank or could it cause more harm than good? If fertilizing, what product is recommended? Thanks

Yes its good but your light isnt powerful enough

I understand I have very low light, but have been told on this forum that I could grow the types of plants I mentioned. I would be interested if you disagree, though. I am not apposed to upgrading my lighting, but I want to keep things low tech.

I understand I have very low light, but have been told on this forum that I could grow the types of plants I mentioned. I would be interested if you disagree, though. I am not apposed to upgrading my lighting, but I want to keep things low tech.

Then keep it low tech! No ferts no high light. When you start adding fertalizers you need to upgrade your light or you will get algae outbreaks

Thanks. That's what I was getting at. With my tank specifics, should I fertilize or could I actually cause a problem by doing so.

I am trying to learn this stuff, so another question, if I may. With low light plants (which are slow growers), I presume they can live off a low level of carbon (that produced by the tank inhabitants). If I were to add more carbon through liquid fertilization, the "extra" carbon will simply support more algae growth. Is this correct?

Thanks. That's what I was getting at. With my tank specifics, should I fertilize or could I actually cause a problem by doing so.

I am trying to learn this stuff, so another question, if I may. With low light plants (which are slow growers), I presume they can live off a low level of carbon (that produced by the tank inhabitants). If I were to add more carbon through liquid fertilization, the "extra" carbon will simply support more algae growth. Is this correct?

I'm not the most knowledgeable one but I help when I can

Fertilizing Plants

Hello mal...

If you have a reasonable number of fish in the tank and feed a varied diet, you don't really need added ferts. I don't use them very often. If your plants aren't growing well, then you can add a little Seachem Comprehensive liquid. I do from time to time. When I use it, I dose a capful when I do a water change.

The ferts the fish produce and large, regular water changes will generally keep the plants healthy.

B

I have low light plants as well. My lighting is only 3 watts (not 3 watts per gallon). I have a 10 gallon tank that I am trying to start. Would higher light damage the plants? Also, I am not sure if I have too little light even for low light plants.

Tank Lighting

I have low light plants as well. My lighting is only 3 watts (not 3 watts per gallon). I have a 10 gallon tank that I am trying to start. Would higher light damage the plants? Also, I am not sure if I have too little light even for low light plants.

Hello z...

This is extremely low light. If you turned on the light in the room, you'd have more light than what's in the tank. I don't believe you could grow any plants in such conditions.

I'd recommend a larger tank. At least 20 gallons. 30 is much better. It will give you the best chance for success.

B

I understand, but I don't have the money for a larger tank right now cuz I just bought this 10g one. I would have to buy all new things, like heater, filter, lights. I'm going to have to work with what I have for now. So what is considered low light? 1 watt per gallon?

Lighting

I understand, but I don't have the money for a larger tank right now cuz I just bought this 10g one. I would have to buy all new things, like heater, filter, lights. I'm going to have to work with what I have for now. So what is considered low light? 1 watt per gallon?

Hello again z...

The watts per gallon rule applies only if you use florescent bulbs. These are the old time round lamps with the double copper colored stems on the ends. These are fine but don't shine very brightly. 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon is considered low or subdued. Moderate would likely be 1.5 to 2.5. Bright, possibly 2.5 to 3 watts per gallons. Anything over 3 would be very bright.

B

So what would it be with LED lighting? Also, doesn't something like 6500k ect... come into play?

Rather than looking at WPG, you want to look at something called PAR. Here's a link that tells you what values of PAR make "high, med, low" as well as give stats for various lights with distance from source.

LED Lighting Compendium

Back
Top Bottom