Fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 58 gal planted. I have assorted plants and low lighting. Am I supposed to add fertilizer? I have the basic test kit (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph), would I need to get additional tests before fertilizing?

My plants look good and are growing.
Thanks.

Most of the time low-light tanks don't need much, if any, additional fertilizer. A lot of people supplement with a trace/iron fert like Flourish. As long as your plants are looking good and you don't have much algae I would say you're doing it right :)

I agree - let your plants be your guide, as they are a whole lot better indicators of their needs than are test kits.

Thanks! No algae at all, which still surprises me! I keep expecting to have algae, I have always had algae in my aquariums at some level (probably b/c I am a whimp when it comes to begging fish so I tend to overfeed).

I have a low light tank and it contains j. ferns, african ferns, two crypts and two amazon swords. I knew that the sword shouldn't be able to do well in the tank as I don't provide any supplements whatsoever. It's been doing well, along with the others, however...I do keep a bit of NO3 around just in case my level goes below 10ppm.

Back
Top Bottom