fertilizer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've a 40 gallon high tank with solidly moderate light (using ozz's lumen's/sq in calculations which make the most sense to me... :) ). It's probably moderately planted (based on folks opinion of heavily in previous posts...). I don't use CO2...don't plan to...and don't use Excel because I'd rather my vals don't melt. The substrate is gravel with root tabs under swords and crypts.

I had initially been doing a modified EI with ferts (no NO3...I have a pleco who seems to provide plenty)...then was reading Tom Barr's comments on that only being applicable if you have CO2...so I've decreased the EI dosing 1-2 times per week. I also had a period a few weeks ago where I ran out of K for about a week.

After these changes, I now have a hair algae problem (seems to be a theme...wonder if it's seasonal? :) )

I'm also now seeing brown spots in the middle and at the ends of the old leaves on my swords. My guess is it's from lack of K...maybe from a few weeks ago? Any other thoughts? I have restarted dosing K and hope it will fix...the new growth looks happy so far.

It may be co-incidence, but my hair algae population goes down with hyper areation. I turn off the bubble wall in winter due to heat conservation concerns, and turn it on in the summer for cooling.

I highly recommend going with an EI dosing regimen and testing daily (until you figure out the problem) for NO3. I suspect an N (and possibly K) deficiency issue. KNO3 when dosed sufficiently should alleviate any K issues as well as providing the necessary N that your plants so crave :)

I'm quite sure it's not NO3...despite my preference for not testing...I broke down and got kits. The NO3 stays, if anything, on the higher side (20-40 ppm) thanks to the pleco. I'm hoping that since I've restarted dosing K it will resolve. How long do you need to wait after making such a change to know if it's worked?

Back
Top Bottom