Fertilizer input and algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janssenjr84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have an algae that is annoying. It's not over the top but it keeps growing. I have been lightly dosing Algeafix to keep it in check. It mostly started when I OD it with light.

The Tank: 180g with 55g sump, I have 2 48" t8 4100k bulbs and a 2' 4100k t8.(i think that is the problem would 6500k be better) tank was fine till I went to 6 of the 48" to try to get better growth. Algea bloomed on the Algea lol so I cut back lights and time. Now on 4 hours morning and 4hours evenings with 1 hour break at noon.

Ammonia is 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20ppm
Phosphate are high 10ppm
10 dg Gh
3 dg kh
Ph 7.6

Dosed potassium sulfate and saw awesome growth that inspired the lights. What is the best way to bring phosphate down? And how do I get to high tech from here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi I heard that water changes will help to lower High phosphate levels unless it is in your water already. Check the level in your tap water. I seen at big ALS store something called Phos-sorb that I believe will help lower it.
Good luck

Not sure what 4100K bulbs would do. That's a little lower than most plant bulbs that run 5000K to 10000K with 6700K being most used. Try 3 hrs and 3 hrs. Also PO4 should lower by WC's unless you're adding it back too much in ferts. OS.

i routinly do 30% to 50% WC probably once evenry 2 weeks my tap water is hard with a higher ph. phosphates 1ppm or less.

would the decaying algea spike phosphates. they come from decaying plant mater and fish food? i have been using the gravel vac about everyother day.i know i have low watts/G or lumans/G which ever rule of thumb you wanna use but if i add light the stuff goes crazy. it looks like just brown algea.

my drop checker sets in the green all the time. i Have 52 fish in there at the moment so CO2 Should be okay i would think.

6 Angelfish-19 Mixed Danios-23 Black Skirt Tetra- 7 nerite Snails-4 Cory Cat

I feed flake food 4 times per week and various other the other 3 (blood worm, brine shrimp, spirulina, or beef hearts)

would doesing AlgeaFix and putting in 1-2 watt/G help get plants to outcompete the algea.

Oh and tap Water

ammo-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
phos <1
GH-11
Kh-3 to 4
Ph-8.2

what kind of flow rate should i have. im running a Mag5 under the tank so prolly closer to 450gph. my return is under the substrate so it doesnt move the surface much, thats good for plants right? Would i need a larger pump to help with algea.

Not sure what 4100K bulbs would do. That's a little lower than most plant bulbs that run 5000K to 10000K with 6700K being most used. Try 3 hrs and 3 hrs. Also PO4 should lower by WC's unless you're adding it back too much in ferts. OS.

i have only been Dosing Potassium sulfate to stay away from any more nitrates or phosphates. I figure the 10+ phosphates and 10-20 nitrates have that covered. what nitrate level should i shoot for i read 15ppm +-5 is about right.

I will switch out to some 6500k that i have

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom