Fertilizer or no fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a ten gallon planted tank with eight fish. I was wondering if i should add any kind of nutrients for the plants or will the fish's waste take care of the nutrients that the fish will need to survive? Also will t10 tubular 15w incandescent bulb be ok for the plants or should i get a stronger light?

Incandescent bulbs would not cut it for plants. You need a new fixture with florescent bulbs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't necessarily need a new fixture. If you can fit some cfl's in the 6500k temp range into your sockets/hood you can grow a fair variety of plants in your tank

This is really going to depend on the kinds of plants that you have in your tank? Do you happen to remember their names?

I wanted to jump in on the thread just because I had a similar question, plus more if you don't mind answering them since I am a newbie to planted tanks. Im looking at doing Java fern, Java Moss, Anubias Nana Petite, dwarf hair grass (may or may not), Elatine Triandra, Cryptocoryne wendtii, s. repens, blyxxa, and possibly Alternanthera Reineckii Mini, though may wait till more experienced for that one. Also open to suggestions on taller for the background. Right now my set up is the standard hood that comes with the Aqueon 10 gallon setup, but have replaced the incandescent with 2 10 watt fluorescents, though I am looking at replacing with a Finnex Fugeray.

The Java fern, Anubias, and the crypt wendi will be okay under that low a light. The other plants you mention would need higher light, a source of carbon, and the fertilizer regime. You can get by with out ferts for the Java fern and Anubias and give the crypt a root tab under it. I have seen some really beautiful lowlight tanks. When you do upgrade your lighting and get ready for more plants, you will definitely need to be looking at a carbon source and complete macro and micro fertilizer regime. Starting with a low light, low tech tank is a great way to get experience in planted tanks. I suggest you look up Jetajockey in here. He sells plants and is very experienced and could answer a lot of questions about plant species that would work for you. Learning about and growing the plants is as much fun and challenging as the fish. Good luck, post some pictures when you get all set up. OS.

The Java fern, Anubias, and the crypt wendi will be okay under that low a light. The other plants you mention would need higher light, a source of carbon, and the fertilizer regime. You can get by with out ferts for the Java fern and Anubias and give the crypt a root tab under it. I have seen some really beautiful lowlight tanks. When you do upgrade your lighting and get ready for more plants, you will definitely need to be looking at a carbon source and complete macro and micro fertilizer regime. Starting with a low light, low tech tank is a great way to get experience in planted tanks. I suggest you look up Jetajockey in here. He sells plants and is very experienced and could answer a lot of questions about plant species that would work for you. Learning about and growing the plants is as much fun and challenging as the fish. Good luck, post some pictures when you get all set up. OS.

Ok cool thanks for the info. Now with the lighting, you say its low lighting. With it being two 10 watt bulbs, is it considered 1 watt per gallon for a total of 10 watts, or considered 2 watts per gallon for a total of 20 watts? And is the Finnex Fugeray an ok light for planted tanks? Ive read reviews on it on amazon of people saying its worked great for them, but then I heard that about the Aqueon modular LED that I currently have on my 55, but was told in a thread that it wouldn't cut it. And Im actually friends with Jeta, very informative guy, just haven't heard much from him lately myself. Ill have to PM him on here or Facebook and see if he can't help my out a little as well.

For screw in CFLs I use ZooMed UltraSuns.
I buy from Amazon.

Thanks for the Info, Ill look into them. I checked out a couple of your tanks, and they're beautiful. I had a question about substrate for you. I see you used Tahitian Moon Sand as a cap over Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Is there a specific reason you don't use just the Tahitian Moon Sand? I was thinking about laying down Eco Complete and capping with the Tahitian Moon Sand, but thats only because I hear that the Eco is supposed to hold nutrients longer.

haha sorry should have mentioned that I do have 2 fluorescent fixtures from my 55 that I don't use since switching to LEDs on the 55. I have no problem using one on the 10 gallon, just need to go pick up a glass hood for it

Thanks for the Info, Ill look into them. I checked out a couple of your tanks, and they're beautiful. I had a question about substrate for you. I see you used Tahitian Moon Sand as a cap over Black Diamond Blasting Sand. Is there a specific reason you don't use just the Tahitian Moon Sand? I was thinking about laying down Eco Complete and capping with the Tahitian Moon Sand, but thats only because I hear that the Eco is supposed to hold nutrients longer.

My specific reason was cost. I got the Black Diamond free thru a club member so I bought the TMS to layer over as I love the look and saved money.

Just FYI layering sand over larger substrate will eventually end up with sand migrating down under the bigger substrate.

Thank you for the compliments. I belong to a great club, so most of my plants have been free.

I use sand in most of my tanks because I love the look and in case I have Cories, they love it too.

Even expensive substrate will run out of nutrients. Yes the CEC is higher with some of them. But I just use DIY root tabs and as long as I have enough lighting, I can grow most low and some medium light plants. I just avoid CO2 and high lighting, my life is too hectic.

I do add Ferts and Excel.

haha sorry should have mentioned that I do have 2 fluorescent fixtures from my 55 that I don't use since switching to LEDs on the 55. I have no problem using one on the 10 gallon, just need to go pick up a glass hood for it

If you don't want to cover the tank, you can use clip on lights and screw in CFLs. But if there are young children, then I would cover the tank :)

Back
Top Bottom