Fertilizer question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
excel is glutaraldehyde, the same ingredient in cidex and metricide 14/28 day, which is used to sterilize surgical equipment. As far as what it does, I'm sure aqua_chem can give a proper explanation but my laymans grasp is that it works as a carbon substitute in a similar way that co2 is utilized by plants.

That first part is also a key to accessing a cheap alternative to excel. :)

excel is glutaraldehyde, the same ingredient in cidex and metricide 14/28 day, which is used to sterilize surgical equipment. As far as what it does, I'm sure aqua_chem can give a proper explanation but my laymans grasp is that it works as a carbon substitute in a similar way that co2 is utilized by plants.

That first part is also a key to accessing a cheap alternative to excel. :)

I don't think anyone really has a firm grasp on exactly what's happening, but gluteral can somehow be incorporated in the calvin cycle instead of CO2.

As for Excel vs Glutaraldehyde, Seachem will swear all day long that it's not the same, but the rest of aquaria is pretty convinced otherwise. API makes a 'CO2 Booster' that they straight up say is Glut, so believe what you want.

I still have this unanswered question: will adding fertilizer make my anacharis grow roots?

I still have this unanswered question: will adding fertilizer make my anacharis grow roots?

Anacharis isn't a true rooting plant, but it will grow offshoot 'roots' along it's stem that go down to the substrate level. I don't know if it's indicative of a surplus of nutrients or rather the plant trying to go into the substrate to get more nutrients due to a lack.

Oh okay, thanks :) I think I'll be able to start a culture soon, I was thinking I might use daphnia, I ran across it online, would it be to much trouble to ask of you could explain it to me?

Austin.b said:
So basically, flourish comprehensive is 100% shrimp safe if you dose the right amount?

Yes, especially considering most of the metals in flourish are chelated.

Well that's great! I forgot to ask, is it safe for scaleless fish as well? I wanted to get a group of loaches ^^

I floated a few anacharis and didnt get any new roots but the others (I tied fishing line and a rock to them so I didnt bury them) shot out new roots everywhere. I was reading that if you lay them on the ground (long ways) everywhere the new roots are will grow new plants. I have not tried it yet but I might try it out and see what happens it would be pretty cool it is one of my favorite plants. Also I have read that you can just cut it wherever and replant it and it will keep growing. You might try that with one and see what happens that way its only one and if something bad happens it wont ruin them all :) But I don't really know much about plants I just put some flourish in there and cross my fingers! lol

I'll be getting flourish for my tank soon. I've cut my anacharis multiple times and the new stems grow just fine, but the original stems are turning brown and the leaves are melting. I think I might need to get that fertilizer soon! Does petco or petsmart carry it?

Umm I don't believe petco does...I don't have a petsmart so I'm not sure on that one :/

I'll be getting flourish for my tank soon. I've cut my anacharis multiple times and the new stems grow just fine, but the original stems are turning brown and the leaves are melting. I think I might need to get that fertilizer soon! Does petco or petsmart carry it?

FYI Flourish is a line of products.
Flourish Comprehensive is the wide spectrum Fert.
Flourish Excel is the Carbon booster

Some Petsmarts do carry Flourish. If not they should carry Leaf Zone.
Otherwise, you can get it off Amazon.

Make sure the Anacharis isn't shaded out...otherwise the bottoms will lose their leaves, that's normal. When you plant them, trim the leaves off the bottom before you plant. Also make sure you keep up on PWC once a week.

I usually just float my Anacharis. It's kinda messy, so I prefer other plants now, but I used it in my early tanks.

I have my anacharis floating in a breeder box, and there's leaf decay on the bottom (below the grate) and I'm not sure why it's happening.

If the store doesn't have flourish comprehensive then what other brands do the same thing that I could find at petco/petsmart?

Petsmart carries the flourish line. I don't remember what petco has, but I know they carry at least one option of plant fertilizer. Just read the labels and find one that is an all around plant fertilizer.

What things should I look for in an all around plant fertilizer? I have some swords (of unknown descent) and anacharis, and I plan to buy frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, and perhaps a few other species as well. I do have root tabs though, do the swords are covered :)

Back
Top Bottom